CAI Material and SC sound

Dirk SC

Would PCV pipe, as in a JLT CAI, make the supercharger louder as a metal pipe CAI does?

Metal vs. Plastic

Dirk SC said:
Would PCV pipe, as in a JLT CAI, make the supercharger louder as a metal pipe CAI does?
Since metal conducts sound better than plastic, I'm gonna say that PVC will be quieter than metal.

68COUGAR

I had half of mine PVC for a while and it got a lot louder when I switched it to metal. It get's louder when you put the filter in the fenderwell too.

I've got a ZR intake on my 'Bird and my blower is freakin loud. I love it. Though, with my exhaust setup - I can't hear it until 8-9 psi :D That's not exactly quiet either.

-Melon

Melon said:
I've got a ZR intake on my 'Bird and my blower is freakin loud. I love it. Though, with my exhaust setup - I can't hear it until 8-9 psi :D That's not exactly quiet either.

-Melon
Same here, but I don't here my blower period!:rolleyes: :D

Mine is all PVC and it seems to be quieter... in fact I'm going to ditch the setup and go with metal. The only reason I used PVC was that I tought it would provide better insulation against engine bay heat. I don't even think it would be a measurable difference... I'll ditch it to get some sound back :D

I wish I could host a video on here. On a cold day when I start my car it sounds like an F-16 idling with a high pitched whistle. I have the focus aluminum tube with a stainless elbow going into the fenderwell with a cone filter.

Jeremy_K said:
I wish I could host a video on here. On a cold day when I start my car it sounds like an F-16 idling with a high pitched whistle. I have the focus aluminum tube with a stainless elbow going into the fenderwell with a cone filter.

So you bought a Focus CAI and fabbed up the last elbow? How does it look?

I got the elbow from a buddy. It's from a mustang kit. It looks great because the focus tube is polished aluminum. I made a cover plate for the area where the elbow goes into the fender and it looks pretty good. I have pics on the forums somewhere I'll try and find them.http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68477&highlight=show+cai . This thread has pics of mine in post #20. There's also a bunch of other ideas.

Last edited:
I have the J.L.T. and The whine is pretty noticeable at idle and gets louder with the peddle

Ive got an PVC intake with an underhood cone filter. No mufflers with only the resonator and I can hear blower whine from about 5psi, I don't imagine a metal intake will make it much louder than it is now but i could be wrong.
Phil

Back