Unlimited Prototype Options! Read!!!

Bacondoggy

ok, My father, who is an electrical engineer, old skool motorhead, and very intelligent, showed me this website:

http://www.quickparts.com/

this is just crazy. I dont really know much about CAD, but you can send them a FILE, and they have a special "printer" that actually makes the part from scratch. PLastic, metal, etc. You can even get nickel platings, etc. on parts! You could fabricate your own custom headlight assembly to whatever. The options are unlimited! look at the tour here:

http://www.quickparts.com/Tour/QP/QP_launcher.asp

I was very suprized how fast everything was. All I ask is if someone makes some really sweet parts from this and gets a group buy going, to give me one!! lol
let me know what everyone thinks about this...

All I know about what you describe is what I've seen as a 3D printer. At first glance, I thought it was a small vending machine. After getting my coins out and finding out that it was NOT a vending machine, someone in my company enlightened me about it's functions. Pretty cool if you ask me.

how hard would it be to make custom headlights for the early-style birds (89-93)? I am sure there would be a pretty high demand for something like that. Maybe to have them so they are a clear plastic insted of the "ribbed" look. You may also be able to do some pretty neat things in the way of tail lights also (maybe implementing led's - just a thought)

Am I way outta the box here or could someone got a 3D rendering of the current SC heads and then modify that image to increase their flow potential and have them made?

Darrel

heads, that would take an extreme amount of time. that would take a CMM and probably a Faro arm to start the job. When you send them the cad file they can very easily run it on a CAM program and figure out exactly what they need to do.

Last edited:
Gotta Love CAD

I'm a SolidWorkd CAD guy too. I've made some custom shifters, SC pulleys, and various other stuff. The quickparts stuff is nice but it would still be pretty expensive for something like headlights. I've actually started a business up with 4 friends doing job shop stuff and a lot of custom things. We have bought an Arrow 1000 CNC Vertical Mill, 35kW generator, and have access to CNC Lathe's, CMM and almost anything else. to get an idea check out the website www.maverickmachineworks.com. We were coming up with names for the company when we came across Top Gun on TV! lol. So if you have any serious ideas let me know and we might be able to help you out.

Hos
dave@maverickmachineworks.com

Attachments

• SC Aluminum Shifter small.jpg
    SC Aluminum Shifter small.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 78
  • SC Pulley.jpg
    SC Pulley.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 80
  • shifter render.jpg
    shifter render.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 75
  • large rim (5).jpg
    large rim (5).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 84
  • 128-2808_IMG.jpg
    128-2808_IMG.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 94
There's an outfit up here in Canada that offers this as a service. Check it out:

ISW Designs

I used to work with the brother of one of the owners. At one point, I suggested this concept to Dave Dalke for some of the parts in his AR kits.

Cheers,

Sean

SuperCharger Pulley Concept

What does everyone think of this? It's not quite a 5%. The diameter where the pulley goes is 3" so it works out to be like just under 5% which is what I want for my 94. The weight savings alone is 64% from a stock 89-93. If anyone wants to see it in true 3D let me know I have an .exe file that you can rotate it and zoom in on it.

Hos

Attachments

• SC300XA.pdf
    173 KB · Views: 116
nice pulley I would not mind one that looks like that. The only thing is I would want 5% over drive. how much would one cost?

5% Customized Pulley

I have a 5% pulley listed as having a 2.935" OD where the belt rides. This one was at 3". Very simple to change it to the 2.935" for a 5%. I would say it would cost around $85 unless I can get some interest in them. I might modify it slightly so I can engrave on the front face for individual customizing. If anyone is interested let me know what size you'd like and I can gauge interest and start making some. Thanks!

Hos
dave@maverickmachineworks.com

Attachments

• SC PULLEY RENDER.jpg
    SC PULLEY RENDER.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
rzimmerl said:
heads, that would take an extreme amount of time. that would take a CMM and probably a Faro arm to start the job. When you send them the cad file they can very easily run it on a CAM program and figure out exactly what they need to do.

I think the design part would be fairly easy. Manufacturing seems hard to me, though. I do CAD too, by the way. Mostly 2D.

Hosmer79,

How about making it a quick change system (2-piece design) so that we can swap out the pulleys quickly.

On that same note, can you design up a 2-piece design for the power steering pulley. I would like to see what you can design up and then start up some group buys so that we can purchase these items. A couple more items I have in mind would be a billet gas door, sill plates, license plate frames, tensioner pulleys and main stud girdle. If you are serious about producing some parts, I'm sure I can come up with a few more and set up the group buys for you.

Post here

Post your part on this website.

mfg.com

I have had great success with getting good prices and quality work here. I design some tight tolerance [arts for the optical sensing indusrty and have been very pleased with the work that has been done.

...one note, if anyone decides to go this way have the shop sign an online NDA.

Pulley

I like the loooks of that one. I have a sweet connection at a plater, if you guys want anything anodized.

Jason Wild said:
nice pulley I would not mind one that looks like that. The only thing is I would want 5% over drive. how much would one cost?

Hosmer79, I'd also be interested in a 5% pulley of that design especially if it indeed weighs 64% less than a O.E. 89-93 pulley.

Last edited:
Back