PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Prototype Options! Read!!!

Bacondoggy
03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
ok, My father, who is an electrical engineer, old skool motorhead, and very intelligent, showed me this website:

http://www.quickparts.com/

this is just crazy. I dont really know much about CAD, but you can send them a FILE, and they have a special "printer" that actually makes the part from scratch. PLastic, metal, etc. You can even get nickel platings, etc. on parts! You could fabricate your own custom headlight assembly to whatever. The options are unlimited! look at the tour here:

http://www.quickparts.com/Tour/QP/QP_launcher.asp

I was very suprized how fast everything was. All I ask is if someone makes some really sweet parts from this and gets a group buy going, to give me one!! lol
let me know what everyone thinks about this...

Michael Mattix
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
All I know about what you describe is what I've seen as a 3D printer. At first glance, I thought it was a small vending machine. After getting my coins out and finding out that it was NOT a vending machine, someone in my company enlightened me about it's functions. Pretty cool if you ask me.

super red91
03-02-2006, 11:18 PM
We have two of those at school and I can use them anytime:D :p

Jason Wild
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
If anyone wants some parts done on cad let me know I can do them up for you. no charge.

Bacondoggy
03-02-2006, 11:51 PM
how hard would it be to make custom headlights for the early-style birds (89-93)? I am sure there would be a pretty high demand for something like that. Maybe to have them so they are a clear plastic insted of the "ribbed" look. You may also be able to do some pretty neat things in the way of tail lights also (maybe implementing led's - just a thought)

D-bird
03-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Am I way outta the box here or could someone got a 3D rendering of the current SC heads and then modify that image to increase their flow potential and have them made?

Darrel

cdchicago
03-03-2006, 02:53 AM
Now your talkin!

rzimmerl
03-03-2006, 04:03 AM
heads, that would take an extreme amount of time. that would take a CMM and probably a Faro arm to start the job. When you send them the cad file they can very easily run it on a CAM program and figure out exactly what they need to do.

Chrismiss
03-03-2006, 08:01 AM
i'm a SolidWorks guy. If you need a 3D models of somethng Pm me.

Hosmer79
03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm a SolidWorkd CAD guy too. I've made some custom shifters, SC pulleys, and various other stuff. The quickparts stuff is nice but it would still be pretty expensive for something like headlights. I've actually started a business up with 4 friends doing job shop stuff and a lot of custom things. We have bought an Arrow 1000 CNC Vertical Mill, 35kW generator, and have access to CNC Lathe's, CMM and almost anything else. to get an idea check out the website www.maverickmachineworks.com. We were coming up with names for the company when we came across Top Gun on TV! lol. So if you have any serious ideas let me know and we might be able to help you out.

Hos
[email protected]

SeanMatteson
03-03-2006, 11:06 AM
There's an outfit up here in Canada that offers this as a service. Check it out:

ISW Designs (http://www.iswdesigns.com/)

I used to work with the brother of one of the owners. At one point, I suggested this concept to Dave Dalke for some of the parts in his AR kits.

Cheers,

Sean

Hosmer79
03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
What does everyone think of this? It's not quite a 5%. The diameter where the pulley goes is 3" so it works out to be like just under 5% which is what I want for my 94. The weight savings alone is 64% from a stock 89-93. If anyone wants to see it in true 3D let me know I have an .exe file that you can rotate it and zoom in on it.

Hos

Jason Wild
03-03-2006, 02:57 PM
nice pulley I would not mind one that looks like that. The only thing is I would want 5% over drive. how much would one cost?

Hosmer79
03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a 5% pulley listed as having a 2.935" OD where the belt rides. This one was at 3". Very simple to change it to the 2.935" for a 5%. I would say it would cost around $85 unless I can get some interest in them. I might modify it slightly so I can engrave on the front face for individual customizing. If anyone is interested let me know what size you'd like and I can gauge interest and start making some. Thanks!

Hos
[email protected]

S_Mazza
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
heads, that would take an extreme amount of time. that would take a CMM and probably a Faro arm to start the job. When you send them the cad file they can very easily run it on a CAM program and figure out exactly what they need to do.

I think the design part would be fairly easy. Manufacturing seems hard to me, though. I do CAD too, by the way. Mostly 2D.

Nettlesd
03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Hosmer79,

How about making it a quick change system (2-piece design) so that we can swap out the pulleys quickly.

On that same note, can you design up a 2-piece design for the power steering pulley. I would like to see what you can design up and then start up some group buys so that we can purchase these items. A couple more items I have in mind would be a billet gas door, sill plates, license plate frames, tensioner pulleys and main stud girdle. If you are serious about producing some parts, I'm sure I can come up with a few more and set up the group buys for you.

Chrismiss
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Post your part on this website.

mfg.com

I have had great success with getting good prices and quality work here. I design some tight tolerance [arts for the optical sensing indusrty and have been very pleased with the work that has been done.

...one note, if anyone decides to go this way have the shop sign an online NDA.

Jason Wild
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
this is my idea of a pulley

Chrismiss
03-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I like the loooks of that one. I have a sweet connection at a plater, if you guys want anything anodized.

Jimmy 2Coupes
03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
nice pulley I would not mind one that looks like that. The only thing is I would want 5% over drive. how much would one cost?

Hosmer79, I'd also be interested in a 5% pulley of that design especially if it indeed weighs 64% less than a O.E. 89-93 pulley.

Hosmer79
03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
You need to fix your rounds to be tangent in one corner in all four places. What did you get for a weight that way? What size is it for? Looks nice though!

Hos

Blown 91 Bird
03-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I like the loooks of that one. I have a sweet connection at a plater, if you guys want anything anodized.

as a matter of fact, i have quite a few things id like to get anodized for my r/c boat. WASSUP???????? :D

Nettlesd
03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a machine shop that is willing to produce some parts for us if i can get them the drawings. So, for those of you who can draw up parts, contact me so that we can some of these parts produced for everyone.

RedSCSpeedster
03-07-2006, 02:11 PM
nice pully work, but whatch the spoke look, the blowoer takes a lot fo hp to spin and you might crash the pully if you make it to week to handle the stress

Hosmer79
03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
What would the cost of machining be? I have started up a company with 4 people and we essentially are doing job shop work along with our other new product ideas. So I can makes these on my own essentially. I just can't make things that will only sell a handful as purchasing material will get expensive.

In regards to the spoked design. My version will withstand the application without any problem. I've done an FEA study on it and it has a factor os safety of over 4.5 . Don't be alarmed by the deformed screen shots as they are scale up nearly 4000 times to exagerate the results.

Hos

I have a machine shop that is willing to produce some parts for us if i can get them the drawings. So, for those of you who can draw up parts, contact me so that we can some of these parts produced for everyone.

Nettlesd
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
What would the cost of machining be? I have started up a company with 4 people and we essentially are doing job shop work along with our other new product ideas. So I can makes these on my own essentially. I just can't make things that will only sell a handful as purchasing material will get expensive.

I don't know without someone designing a part that people want and then letting the shop quote it out. They can't tell me a price without first knowing what it is we want. They need to see the file so that they can determine the amount of machining and material involved.

This is what I've worked out with the shop:

The shop receives the file for the part we want produced.
The part is quoted on a minimum of 10 people buying the part.
Group buy is started.
Once 10 people have committed and paid, the part is produced and mailed out.

Hey, if you're willing to make some parts, let's get moving and get some parts produced. I don't care if you or the shop I have lined up is producing the parts, as long as, we can get some parts produced.

So, what would you like to do?

Randy N Connie
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I would buy a two peice quick change blower pulley.
I would buy a stock, 5% and 10% overdrive pullies.
Not interested in a one peice blower pulley.

Randy

Hosmer79
03-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I would love to get some parts made. If I had 10 people interested in my pulley design for $75 ($85 with custom engraving of your choice). I'd have them done in a couple weeks. I would like to get my first one finished and tested (would need someone to maybe dyno them for me) first but if I had 10+ people interested I'd have them made. Let me know if you're interested.

Hos
[email protected]
www.maverickmachineworks.com

I don't know without someone designing a part that people want and then letting the shop quote it out. They can't tell me a price without first knowing what it is we want. They need to see the file so that they can determine the amount of machining and material involved.

This is what I've worked out with the shop:

The shop receives the file for the part we want produced.
The part is quoted on a minimum of 10 people buying the part.
Group buy is started.
Once 10 people have committed and paid, the part is produced and mailed out.

Hey, if you're willing to make some parts, let's get moving and get some parts produced. I don't care if you or the shop I have lined up is producing the parts, as long as, we can get some parts produced.

So, what would you like to do?

Nettlesd
03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I would buy a two peice quick change blower pulley.
I would buy a stock, 5% and 10% overdrive pullies.
Not interested in a one peice blower pulley.

Randy

I also agree. A 2-piece makes more sense.

Hosmer79,

How about coming up with a 2-piece design. Either way, you need to create a group buy to get the ball rolling.

Hosmer79
03-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I will start working on a 2 piece design. I think it's possible but making a two piece system may have some down sides. Let me see what me and my partners at Maverick can come up with. I will post what we come up with for ideas. Thanks guys!

Hos

I also agree. A 2-piece makes more sense.

Hosmer79,

How about coming up with a 2-piece design. Either way, you need to create a group buy to get the ball rolling.

White Lightning
03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Keep me posted, I'm right down the road in nor'western Ct. and am interested, the price even sounds good! Two piece??? how would that work out? changing the pulley ratio means changing the belt length! No?? cheers, W.L.