Oil change intervals?

I always change the oil in my Expedition every 2000 miles with Valvoline Synpower 10w30 full synthetic. Yes I am crazy :D .

Shane

quick35th said:
I always change the oil in my Expedition every 2000 miles with Valvoline Synpower 10w30 full synthetic. Yes I am crazy :D .

Shane

Is there a viable reason for this, or simply your own perception and peace of mind?

JStudrawa said:
Is there a viable reason for this, or simply your own perception and peace of mind?

It doesn't burn or smoke at all nor leak oil but for some reason I am always two quarts low after about 2k miles. Not sure why but I guess its still in Ford spec, atleast thats what some people on the ford truck forums tell me. I want this motor to last me well into the 200k mile range or 5 more years, its got 98k miles on it now.

Shane

quick35th said:
It doesn't burn or smoke at all nor leak oil but for some reason I am always two quarts low after about 2k miles. Not sure why but I guess its still in Ford spec, atleast thats what some people on the ford truck forums tell me. I want this motor to last me well into the 200k mile range or 5 more years, its got 98k miles on it now.

Shane

Wow, 2 quarts is a lot for only 2k miles. I leak about a quart every 3k miles or so, and I can see it on my rear main seal.

That's gotta get expensive and time consuming for you, man.

http://www.rxecret7.com/vasy10symooi.html

5q x $3 x (100k left / 2k) = $750 in oil changes if you do it yourself? Can't imagine if you take it somewhere.

Wait, 2q every 2k miles just GONE is in Ford specs? Does synthetic oil just disintegrate?

Last edited:
JStudrawa said:
Wow, 2 quarts is a lot for only 2k miles. I leak about a quart every 3k miles or so, and I can see it on my rear main seal.

That's gotta get expensive and time consuming for you, man.

http://www.rxecret7.com/vasy10symooi.html

5q x $3 x (100k left / 2k) = $750 in oil changes if you do it yourself? Can't imagine if you take it somewhere.

Actually, and this is going to make it worse, my Expedition requires 6q when doing an oil change so that figure is a little low and at roughly $5 a quart or valvoline synpower it does get costly. I do all my oil changes myself and it costs me right around $36 to do. Atleast Ford was nice enough that I can slide under it with the pan without having to jack it up and they placed the oil filter in the driver fender which makes changing the oil a piece of cake.

Shane

That is just pure and simple.... a WASTE of time, money and synthetic oil. BUT, I guess they are all yours to waste, huh? :rolleyes:

If you are gonna change oil every 2k you might as well be using cheap oil. The whole point to running synthetic oil is for PROLONGED protection, meaning you can go longer between changes. You should not have any issues at all running 5000 miles between changes or more.

XR7inWI said:
That is just pure and simple.... a WASTE of time, money and synthetic oil. BUT, I guess they are all yours to waste, huh? :rolleyes:

If you are gonna change oil every 2k you might as well be using cheap oil. The whole point to running synthetic oil is for PROLONGED protection, meaning you can go longer between changes. You should not have any issues at all running 5000 miles between changes or more.

If you think that's bad you will really think I'm wasteful. I change my oil every 1500 miles or next major breakdown...whichever comes first.

My 91 uses 20W 50 Valvoline race oil (non synthetic)
My 93 uses 20W 50 Valvoline full synthetic

I've read that the oil must be changed much sooner when using a turbo, because the heat from the turbo breaks down the oil much quicker and will cause coking on the turbo bearings. That's why I'm using full synthetic oil in the 93. So far I've only put about 500 miles on the new motor and the oil has been changed 3 times, mostly because of repairs being made.

My 91 just gets driven real hard and I like to keep the fuel and other crap out of the oil. I very seldom reach 1500 miles without breaking it or tearing it apart to upgrade something, so it's only been to the Valvoline oil change place once in the last year and half.

David

You guys are going to think this is funny but once last fall I changed the oil in my Expedition three times in a week :eek: :eek:. I changed the oil friday night before driving out the PA and back to buy Gary Kuhn's old SC, I then changed it the oil again that fallowing friday before leaving on my trip to WI and back for my 460 BBF, then when I got back from that trip on sunday I changed it one more time. My Expedition is spoiled :p :D

Shane

quick35th said:
You guys are going to think this is funny but once last fall I changed the oil in my Expedition three times in a week :eek: :eek:. I changed the oil friday night before driving out the PA and back to buy Gary Kuhn's old SC, I then changed it the oil again that fallowing friday before leaving on my trip to WI and back for my 460 BBF, then when I got back from that trip on sunday I changed it one more time. My Expedition is spoiled :p :D

Shane

What I love is the human mind's ability to justify spending $1500 to avoid a $500 future expense :)

JStudrawa said:
What I love is the human mind's ability to justify spending $1500 to avoid a $500 future expense :)

$500??? A new short block for my Expedition is $1,899.

Shane

I bet you are doing damage with all of those times the engine has to wait for oil while it fills the filter after you just changed it for the third time in a week lol.

quick35th said:
$500??? A new short block for my Expedition is $1,899.

Shane

Just how often do people need to change blocks? :)

Now you know you're a wacko, just accept it! Woosahh!!

JStudrawa said:
Just how often do people need to change blocks? :)

Now you know you're a wacko, just accept it! Woosahh!!

LMAO!!!

That short block that I listed is for a rebuilt Lightning short block. See getting that would give me the perfect excuse to bolt on a Lightning supercharger at the same time :eek: :D

Shane

i like changing my Oil its fun. i do it whenever i feel the need to change it, about every 2000miles im useing Royal Purple this time thoe so i just might got 3000miles :p

Im buying some Royal Purple this week :) got my K&N installed already.

quick35th said:
It doesn't burn or smoke at all nor leak oil but for some reason I am always two quarts low after about 2k miles. Not sure why but I guess its still in Ford spec, atleast thats what some people on the ford truck forums tell me. I want this motor to last me well into the 200k mile range or 5 more years, its got 98k miles on it

Thats weird, my fiances parents expy 5.4 has 236,000 on original motor, non-synthetic oil changed every 5,000 miles, without any noticeable oil loss. And it still rides awesome, we put 650 miles on it just yesterday and it still feels VERY solid!

quick35th said:

Shane

Yes,you are crazy.:) This is mega overkill.This makes as much sense as changing oil before storing your car for the winter,and then changing it again when it comes out in the spring.

kws6000 said:
Yes,you are crazy.:) This is mega overkill.This makes as much sense as changing oil before storing your car for the winter,and then changing it again when it comes out in the spring.

My buddy with a '95 Viper RT10 does that every year, no joke either.

Shane

i went to NAPA today :)
PICT3172a.jpg
:D

Back