PS stalls my car

leeklimala

When I turn my noisy (already searched and am going to get some Lucas PS addative) steering all the way to the stops it stalls my car. Not every time but it will do it every so often, like when I am waiting to pull a U-turn in a turn lane. Saw some posts but no solutions to the stalling of the engine due to stressing the PS. Any answers?

If I remember correctly, I think I remember hearing something about needing to replace the motor mounts, that could be cause of your car stalling when turning the wheels... Just my .02 cents...
:)

when my ps pump was noisy

it was because the mechanic who changed my oil had accidently...right...loosend the ps line, and it bleed out. so i fixed it for like $5, instead of the $100 they wanted, and my pump didnt make a noise, or stall my car out occasionally. check your fluid levels constanly. good luck

Check that your minimum idle is adjusted correctly. Mine was too low and almost stalled in similar situations, but never quite died on me.

To do this:

Unplug the IAC. Then start the car. It should idle poorly, but eventually stabilize and idle at about 600 RPMs.

If it can't keep the idle up:

Turn the car off.
Go to the throttle body and turn the teeny tiny brass screw (you will probably need one of those little thumbwheel screwdrivers to do it). This is the idle stop screw. Clockwise raises the minimum idle, CCW lowers it. Turn it a couple turns, then go back and start the car again.

Repeat until you get the desired result, then turn the car off and go plug the IAC back in.

Test drive and see what happens.

That stop screw should almost never have to be turned.....ever. Also, at the U-turns, are you turning the wheel all the way till it locks and sitting there? You should never turn it to lock for more than 3 seconds.
It sounds like you need to rebuild or replace your pump. Possibly causing unecessary strain on a weak engine. Do you have hard starts sometimes?

It could be anything. Have you checked for trouble codes or vacuum leaks? My car did the same thing when it was running wack, all I had to do was make the eec "relearn" the idle, adjusting the throttlebody is not only silly, it may mask some other serious problem.

It could be anything. Have you checked for trouble codes or vacuum leaks? My car did the same thing when it was running wack, all I had to do was make the eec "relearn" the idle, adjusting the throttlebody is not only silly, it may mask some other serious problem.

How is adjusting the throttle body silly? The point of it is, you adjust it to the CORRECT setting so that you know it's right. The fact is, an INCORRECT setting can mask problems.

I'm not saying, "adjust it until the car works ... for now." I'm saying, follow the correct procedure and then, if the problem continues, troubleshoot the rest of the system.

thanks for the ideas fellas. I've never touched the idle screw so I don't think that's the problem. the only codes I get point to a faulty cam sensor. my CEL is intermittent. I don't hold it at the stops for too long, only to know it's turned all the way and then I let it fall back to a natural position. I think my problem was solved by getting wynn's downtubes and hi flow cats on. for more on that see my other post on new exhaust pics. but the noisy pump will remain until it eats itself alive, I added some lucas goo to quiet it for the time being but I won't be pulling any pumps out until they are dead. and only then after I get tired of not having power steering.

Back