Need a track lock that has more torque holding capacity than ford

blown96bird

I need a track lock that thas more torque holding capacity than the ford unit. My car can overpower the factory track lock rear end and spin on wheel. I could rebuild it but I need something that I can put more torque into. What aftermarket unit that will work with a tbird/cobra pumpkin that you would recomend?

You can rebuild the factory unit with a F-150 S-spring and alternate friction stacking order and the traction-lok will hold more. fwiw, the traction-lok differential that came in my frpp 3.73 pumpkin didn't last long either.

Auburn Gear, Eaton, and Torsen all sell IRS compatible 8.8" differentials with more torque transmitting capacity than the factory differential.

cheers
Ed N.

blown96bird said:
I need a track lock that thas more torque holding capacity than the ford unit.
That's a sure sign that it's worn out. For some weird reason, Ford put a MD (Medium Duty) Trac-Loc in our cars. I've completely destroyed 2 of'em so far.

Are you lookikng for a stronger Track-Loc, OR a different & stronger differential?

I currently have a (regular) Auburn Cone in my car, and I would NOT recommend it to anybody. It's a mystery to me why the Mustang Boys love the Auburn so much. Maybe they don't make as much TQ as we do. My car is able to overpower the cones. When I get on it, I can feel the cones slip about 1/2 turn before the car starts to move. The Auburn Pro has more bias pressure & is better suited to our cars, than the regular Auburn Cone.

I'm seriously considering switching to a Detroit Truetrac, (http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm) It's a Worm/Wheel design (gear-on-gear). I like the fact that there are no clutches or cones to wear out.

The Torsen (http://www.torsen.com/) is also a gear-on-gear LS diff.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Ed,

Last I checked a few years back the eaton didnt work with IRS...Did they change it?

Thanks;O)

Damon, I may be mistaken, but I had thought that Eaton had changed the production on the 8.8" units about a year ago, so that they could accommodate the IRS axle circlips.

cheers
Ed N.

68COUGAR said:
That's a sure sign that it's worn out. For some weird reason, Ford put a MD (Medium Duty) Trac-Loc in our cars. I've completely destroyed 2 of'em so far.

Are you lookikng for a stronger Track-Loc, OR a different & stronger differential?

I currently have a (regular) Auburn Cone in my car, and I would NOT recommend it to anybody. It's a mystery to me why the Mustang Boys love the Auburn so much. Maybe they don't make as much TQ as we do. My car is able to overpower the cones. When I get on it, I can feel the cones slip about 1/2 turn before the car starts to move. The Auburn Pro has more bias pressure & is better suited to our cars, than the regular Auburn Cone.

I'm seriously considering switching to a Detroit Truetrac, (http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm) It's a Worm/Wheel design (gear-on-gear). I like the fact that there are no clutches or cones to wear out.

The Torsen (http://www.torsen.com/) is also a gear-on-gear LS diff.

68COUGAR

FWIW, Quaife makes a Torsen equivalent that uses forged internals, instead of cast. It carries a lifetime warranty, although it is very pricey.

I recently investigated the varoius options and ended up going with an Auburn Pro. Turbo mustang guys think the stock trac loc with alt stacking of the clutchs and F-150 S spring is better/stronger than the Auburn Pro.

Mine won't be installed until next week, so I'll have to let you know what I think about it later.

David

David,

I had done the same thing with my traction lock, And they are easily and cheaply rebuilt unklike the Auburn. Unsure about torque to wheel statistics however

I went with a rebuilt factory unit with the F-150 S-spring and alternate friction stacking order with 4.10's in my XR7, and I'm very happy with its performance.

-Rod

I used an early 80's mustang carrier, it's supposed to be the strongest carrier out there, however the f-150 spring would not fit into it.
Alan

(Off topic delete by admin.)

But back on track, I think for the $$ I'm gonna try the F-150 S-spring mod.. Seems like others are happy with it.
circlip mod

Last edited:
Dirtyd0g said:
I used an early 80's mustang carrier, it's supposed to be the strongest carrier out there, however the f-150 spring would not fit into it.
Alan
Hey Alan, did you try using a couple of hose clamps to compress the spring prior to installation? I had one heck of a time getting the F150 s-spring installed, even with the hose clamps. I don't remember exactly, but after the spring is started, you cut the clamp and then continue tapping the spring in with a hammer until you have to cut the other clamp.

Dirtyd0g said:
It's not the height that stops it from fitting it is the width the window is smaller.
Alan
Ahh, I'll keep that in mind if I ever change to an older carrier.

I've got the same problem...

Mine does the same, now that it's at 470RWTQ it just sits and spins one wheel, time for a new diff!!!!

I'll add my support to the F-150 spring...

I had mine rebuilt here locally by a Ford tech inspector. He got it so tight that now going slowly around corners, I can feel the inner tire skipping a little. He got it good. Now, I'm only putting down around 340 rwtq, so take it for what it's worth. But I have absolutely no problems so far with it. Both wheels lock up really nice instantly. I definately got a quality rebuild and am extremely happy with the results. (That and it was significantly cheaper than buying an aftermarket unit)

I need to change mine before the shoot out and the F150 seems to be the economical way to go; 149,000 on original OEM stuff with plenty of mods, yea I need to change them!

Back