Cleaning Up Rear Windshield. TAR? BLACK GOO!

darkstar_one

OKay.... well around 2 summers ago... my rear windshield and the rear end of the headliner started to leak this black TAR like goo.... well it got really nasty and kinda rubbed some off on the windshield... well the rear panels have some on too.... it was leaking from were the headliner meets the rear windshield and on the sides from were ther windshield meets the body panels... anywho... anyonw know how to clean this up? i do believe the heat melted it causing it to start leaking out.... ive tried some brake parts cleaner on the rear windshield and it does seem to work ... now i just need to remove it off the interior panels.. thanks....

I just noticed mine is doing that also.I couldn't figure out how to get it off my lincoln either.maybe goo gone???...hopefully someone knows how to get it off here.

Most people will think I'm crazy for this.... gasoline. Had the same issue with the windshield and the rear window in my car. Will clean it off the plastic panels too.

wow.. that aint a crazy idea... ima give it a try.... the brake cleaner dries out too fast and u gotta work fast too.... thanks for the idea ima give it a try... gasoline doesnt ruin fabric anywho so that wont be a problem. i should know. i swallowed some a while back and i am still alive. i jsut dont like to near an open flame after i eat a bean and steak burrito... :p

i Know the stuff you are talking about, but i never bothered to do anything about the black stuff on my window; so this is not a tested method, but i thought i would throw it out there anyway.
Perhaps goo-gone or some equivalent adhesive remover would do the trick, without the smell of gasoline.

A product called "Goof Off" will cut just about anything. You can pick it up at Wal Mart in the paint department. I've used it to good effect on all kinds of things. It contains toluene, xylene, etc. so it's pretty hot. Try it on a non-exposed surface first.

JD

Naphtha is good. But it smells. It is what some lighter fluids are made of. I think Ronsonol is the main one.

darkstar_one said:
OKay.... well around 2 summers ago... my rear windshield and the rear end of the headliner started to leak this black TAR like goo.... well it got really nasty and kinda rubbed some off on the windshield... well the rear panels have some on too.... it was leaking from were the headliner meets the rear windshield and on the sides from were ther windshield meets the body panels... anywho... anyonw know how to clean this up? i do believe the heat melted it causing it to start leaking out.... ive tried some brake parts cleaner on the rear windshield and it does seem to work ... now i just need to remove it off the interior panels.. thanks....

It's butyl....use wax and grease remover on the windows and then clean up with glass cleaner. Use Goo-gone or another type of mild cleaner on the panels and then clean them with glass cleaner. Do not use the wax and grease on the panels!

Back