PDA

View Full Version : looking at a 1990 cougar xr7 tonight

Supercat90
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
can anyone give me some tips on what to look for. like how to check things that may be bad . the basic stuff i know these cars have some typical parts to look out for. any info appreciated.

thanks

JStudrawa
03-07-2006, 06:33 PM
can anyone give me some tips on what to look for. like how to check things that may be bad . the basic stuff i know these cars have some typical parts to look out for. any info appreciated.

thanks

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69017

Read the threads in that section (New Owners, etc) and they cover a lot.

Kevin Varnes
03-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Real quick I would check the trans fluid smell and color, crankshaft dampener/pulley for wobble, ABS brakes (make sure they aren't doing anything funky on the test drive and make sure the ABS lights don't come on when you hit the brakes, you might even want to see how many pumps of the brake pedal you can get before the pump has to come on), I also check for rust underneath especially on the rocker panels since it seems these cars were designed to rust out there.

S_Mazza
03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
It's also smart to pull back the trunk liner and check for rust on the wheelwells and in the rear corners. My old Bird had rust both places. I think it was a leaky rear window that caused it.

90redsc
03-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I am selling mine. R-built engine 4000 on it. interior redone shocks recent inspection NJ