Do I HAVE to chase the threads in the deck???

sizemoremk

Do I HAVE to chase the threads in the deck???

My studs seem to go all the way in without problem, is re-tapping the threads a good idea or truely necessary?

I wentto get a tap, and we couldn't decide what size it was...

Can I just use a bottle brush or something and blow them out with air?

Last edited:
You don't have to do that with studs. Just make sure they go all the way in and finger tighten the studs only.

Everyone may know better. But I can tell you it has been told since way back in the day. Chase the threads! The probem is patience. When I did my headgaskets. I chased them with the studs. Clean them and chased them again. This will aide in any torque issues or binding. Just my 2 cents, thats worth about one.

There's no torque binding with studs. Chasing threads is necessary if you were using bolts. For studs the only thing that the threads in the block do is hold the stud. The only thing that will give a false torque reading, if at all, is the friction from the threads and the washer that the nut threads to. This is why the moly lube is provided.

Whatever though.:)

I beg to differ but you probably know more. Anything that has a new bolt being placed it it regarding tolerances and torque specs should be chased first. It verifies that there are no boogers in there.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Dahoopd said:
I beg to differ but you probably know more. Anything that has a new bolt being placed it it regarding tolerances and torque specs should be chased first. It verifies that there are no boogers in there.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

But the studs do not get torqued down. They only get threaded in finger tight then the NUTS get torqued down. So chasing the threads in the block is not really neccessary unless they are so full of gunk that you cannot turn the studs in to start with. It won't hurt anything to clean the threads in the block before puting the studs in but it won't hurt anything if you DON'T either.;)

sizemoremk said:
The lube goes on the nut side only, correct?
Yes that is correct. Put some on the threads of the stud and a dab on the top of the washer.

A good way to make a thread chaser is to use an old head bolt
and grind 2 to 4 vertical lines in the threads, making it look like
a tap. You may need to file the threads clean, but it's cheaper
than buying a set of metric taps. :D

Back