96 Radio in a 92 w/ JBL & CD?

tbirdman

I currently have an aftermarket radio and CD slave in my 92 SC that took the place of my original factory radio and CD slave. Well, I'm getting to the point where I might wanna go back to the factory look, but I'm not big on the stock 92 premium sound unit. I have an opportunity to get a 96 premium sound head unit. My question is, will I still be able to operate the factory CD slave unit with the 96 radio, and will the new radio have a connection for the JBL amp/subwoofer? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Level vs. Low Level

tbirdman said:
will I still be able to operate the factory CD slave unit with the 96 radio, and will the new radio have a connection for the JBL amp/subwoofer?
You may have more problems than just operating the CD. The early radios had a high level output. Later radios had a low level output. The '96 definately has a low level output. Not sure what year the change was made, but I think it was either '92 or '93. If you plug everything together & the volume is very low, then you have a low level head unit & a high level amp.

68COUGAR

Been there done it. It works fine. I have a 94 Taurus SHO AM/FM/Cassette, with CD slave mounted in my 90 XR-7 S/C. The XR-7 was originally equipped with the JBL system, AM/FM/Cassette. It did not have the the slave CD from the factroy. I added the connection cable from unit to unit, and also spliced the slave power harness into the radio power harness.
That worked fine...(my original setup was modded by adding a 1991 slave CD) That worked fine until the CD crapped out.
Now I've refitted to the 94 Taurus gear, which is identical to the 96 Mustang GT Mach 460 units. They light up more bluish than the older units but I can live with that. There are a couple wires you need to "move" on the radio harness. Check out www.tccoa.com for articles on how to do it.
Good luck and enjoy. BTW.....if you don't use the slave CD unit there is a shorting plug you will need to install in the back of the radio in order to get sound out of it. If you use the slave CD, you will not get sound until both ends of the interface cable are connected to the radio and CD unit.
Also...connections for the 92 style slave are identical to the 96 style. The newer radio should run the older slave CD no problem, but you do need to change two wires in the radio harness in order to turn the amps on! See the TCCOA article and enjoy.

Last edited:
Back