Sure it's the worst

Chrismiss

I think I already know the answer to this but I figured I'd throw it out there. My 1990 5spd has a recent clutch and about 96,000 miles on it. My tranny grinds in practically every gear. Even going into 5th and reverse. Forget about 3rd gear I just don't use it. Speed shifting is not an option in any gear. Could all my synchros be bad or could this be another problem. The car has a B&M shifter on it and some GM syncromesh fluid. Would trying to bleed the clutch help any of this? Thanks for the input.

You may need to shim the slave cylinder. Try this... with car sitting on level ground (parking lot or something usually works good if you don't have a FLAT, LEVEL, PAVED driveway) in first gear with foot on the clutch pedal (all the way down) rev up the engine and see if the car tries to creep forward. If it DOES try to move forward then the clutch is not disengaging completely and the slave cylinder likely needs shimming.

Is it sometimes near impossible to get into ANY gear when at a complete stop? If so, that is another sign that the clutch is not disengaging all the way. You could also put the rear of the car SECURLY on jack stands (put blocks in front and back of front tires just to be safe) and start the car up. With the car running and the clutch pedal all the way down, the rear wheels should not move. If they turn (yup, you guessed it) the clutch is not disengaging and likely needs to be shimmed.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you come up with.

Clutch

I occassionally have trouble getting into gear when I'm stopped. I'll try the test out that you described and see what happens. If the clutch disengages is it the synchros? Thanks for the sugggestions.

Clutch

I occassionally have trouble getting into gear when I'm stopped. I'll try the test out that you described and see what happens. If the clutch disengages is it the synchros? Thanks for the sugggestions.

Clutch

~~~ Over

So much for not thinking the website was working. Sorry for repeating myself so many times.:rolleyes:

Other thoughts

Anyone have any other ideas. The clutch seems to be disengaging. The car past the flat level ground move forward test.

Chrismiss said:
Anyone have any other ideas. The clutch seems to be disengaging. The car past the flat level ground move forward test.
You still may want to try puting the rear end up on jack stands and checking that way yet.

Yours is doing the same thing as mine but mine is a little more severe so it actually moves forward when revving the engine with the clutch pedal down. Yours may not be quite that bad and therefor will not move with clutch pedal down but the rear wheels still may turn when in the air and trying it that way.

I replaced the oil/fluid in mine with syncro-mesh and it helped some (it HAD ATF in it before from previous owner) then I drained out about a quart and replaced it with 10w 40 motor oil and it helped a LOT. The heavier oil will help to slow things down inside when the clutch pedal is depressed making it easier to shift. I used to get grinding all the time going into third unless I was VERY slow and cautious. Now I get no grinding, just kind of hard to grab second sometimes if I am in a hurry or trying to "slam gears".

I need to shim the slave in mine but just haven't had a chance to get-r-done yet.

If the wheels will not turn when in the air as I suggested, then I would immagine it is your synchros/blockers, but you might as well try the easy stuff first.;)

Saturday

I'll have the car up Saturday and I'll give that a try also. Should I have put a friction modifier in with my synchromesh? I have some royal purple gear oil laying around should I put half a qt of that in?

Back