trans oil pan bolt stripped out...now what?

bigcletus94

just finishing up on the transmission pan bolts after draining all of the old fluid out and the front most left bolt stripped right out of the tranny. The threads actually came out coiled up around the bolt. Never seen this before. I re-filled it anyways and there wasn't any leakage until I went to dinner and noticed the $4/quart puddle of Mercon V that had leaked out on to the cement.

How do I go about fixing this? I have got to plug this thing up some how and fast. I dont want to have to buy too much more of this Mercon V stuff. It is too expensive to leak out all over the place. I was thinking maybe of getting a bolt that is a little bigger than the old one and maybe just cramming it in the hole? Any ideas? THanks

HELI-COIL THREAD REPAIR ! YOU NEED A KIT FROM AUTO PARTS STORE. INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE INSIDE, WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

It happens in aluminum sometimes.

Saw a special on Discovery Channel with West Coast Choppers where Jessie James was headed to Sturgis from California on a chopper he built. Half way there the new motor started making noise. The rocker arm cover was coming loose because the threads came apart.

Helicoiled it in the parking lot of a grocery store and then back on the road.

You might try a new bolt about 1/4 inch longer the trans case is threaded deeper than the bolt and sometimes you can catch the undamaged threads.

Back