Automatic shift handle removal

Spider

I'm going to go to the junk yard for the T handle for my Automatic Transmission but i have no idea how they come off or what tools i should bring ?
when i bought this car it was already gone and only has the metal rod sticking up with the white shaft for the button going threw the middle of the shaft.
so I'm going out to find a shifter for my OAD Auto Trans and hopefully ill find a good one.

Usually there is a thin slit in the stem of the handle and a staple like clip inside. You'll need a needle nose pliers or small hook to pull it out.

Some come off easily and some don't.
In the junkyard you may have to sit on the center console compartment cover (in between the front seats), press in the gearshift button, and placing your hands on either side and under the gearshift knob, lift up. Be careful as you will hit the dash or get cut on a broken windshield when the knob finally decides to come free. It's easier when the selector is in Drive or 1st gear.
In your own car don't sit on the center console as it will crack. Instead, sit in the driver's seat and place your right foot in the passenger's footwell to have more leverage.

ok cool. thanks for your help. since mines already missing when i removed my dash when i was trying to put the dash back in i couldn't figure out what it was stuck on. I'm like ~~~... then i look under and i see the shifter shaft stabbed into my front of my dash holding it from moving. :eek: that shifter shaft seems dangerous :D

Back