found a puddle of ps fluid on the pass side today

Merlon

ahem...weak. so i need to know how hard it is to replace te old worn hoses? should it be an easy jo, where i jack the car up, place standes under it, and unscrew the hoses, like 2 screws i can see, and then replace with new ones from autozone? or should i have someone do it for me? and what are some measurments i need

this problem happened when i made a sharp turn going fast, at like 20mph. there was a car i would hit because he was pakred illegally, and i couldnt see him, so i turned the wheel almost all the way to the left to avaiod it, and then i hear a really loud ps pump, i checked the fluid last night, and put a few drops it, and drove it, it quited down, and this morning, a puddle of clean PS fluid had dripped on the pass side. just want to know if i can do it, i replace my hoses, and change my oi, and fix my flats, and drain my own radiator fluis. and installed my own stereo, changed my fuel filter last week. but i could loose PS and die, but how hard can it be? just would apprecite your input thanks. not really a mech. but a guy who can do something, somtimes...

The high pressure line is kind of a pain to change. If you do a search you will probably find some threads on how to do it. Might also want to check your engine mounts while you're under there.

yeah i guess it would be a pain

i had the mounts replaced with solid ones, they make the car vibrate a little more, but i litke knowing the cars mounts arent jelly. to replace should these instructions be followed?
With the engine stopped, remove the return hose at the power steering gear, and allow the fluid to drain from this hose into a drain pan. On some cars, the vehicle must be lifted on a hoist to replace the power steering hoses.
Loosen and remove all hose fittings from the pump and steering gear.
Remove all hose-to-chassis clips.
Remove the hoses from the chassis, and cap the pump and steering fittings.
If O-rings are used on the hose ends, install new O-rings. TRW steering gear cylinder lines have gaskets that are serviced as a unit. The old gasket must be pried out of the fittings in the housing before the new lines and gaskets are installed. Lubricate O-rings with power steering fluid.
Reverse steps 1 through 4 to install the power steering hoses. Tighten all fittings to the manufacturer's specified torque. Be sure all hose-to-chassis clips are in place. Do not position hoses where they rub on other components.
Fill the pump reservoir to the full mark with the manufacturer's recommended fluid. Bleed air from the power steering system. Check the fluid level in the reservoir and add fluid as required.

On all the SC power steering lines I've had to change I've had to remove the lower IC tube to be able to get the line off of the pump. Do a search on here. It sounds like those instructions are pretty generic. You can find more specific tips on the board here.

yeah i looked more closely

and it may not be a new hose i need, but to be tightened. maybe. its freaking windy and the garage is where the bimmer is housed. i had seen it dripping from the clamp, and maybe i need to re adjust the hose, and fittings. ill see what happens when i do that, then post about it.

i also would like to know if one of the clips on the ps cap is broken, and doesnt close properly will that leak ps fluid, or is that not really important? any pictures of an installed or assembled pump, with proper hoses in there places?

Last edited:
Back