Teves ABS brake flushing? Do we need to use this tool?

Since it says it is for the TEVES IV then I would think it would only work with 93+, since 89-92 have TEVES II.

I agree it would be nice to know that the entire system is flushed, I wonder if the service manual has a procedure for the TEVES II system?

I believe this tool is required to properly bleed the Teves IV system once air has entered the ABS valve assembly. The valves need to be open to bleed all of the air out of the system. This or a similar tool isn't needed on the Teves II ABS.

Bryan

that's right--and even on the newer Teves IV system, the Ford factory manuals do list a manual bleeding procedure that will do the same job--that's what my local Ford shop has told me.

Can somebody tell it to me like I am 4 and confirm that the tool described in the first post WILL work to bleed the ABS on my '93 SC? I lost alotta fluid during my caliper swap project and I think this will help.

yes, it will. Or, you can use the clear jar and clear tubing on the bleeder screw and get about the same results. I got that from a Ford tech at the local dealership. To keep from losing brake fluid, you need to use the jar, half-filled with brake fluid, and the end of the tube must remain inside the fluid.

That'll work on the 93+ Thunderbirds and is required for bleeding. (I have one paul if you need to borrow it)

The 89-92 don't need it as everything is part of the master cylinder.

AS far as I have been told it is not required for bleeding. I also have bled mine out without it and the system works as it is supposed to. But if you have access to one, why not? Give it a shot and at least that way you iwll know that they are done properly.

skydivr7673 said:
yes, it will. Or, you can use the clear jar and clear tubing on the bleeder screw and get about the same results. I got that from a Ford tech at the local dealership. To keep from losing brake fluid, you need to use the jar, half-filled with brake fluid, and the end of the tube must remain inside the fluid.

My understanding is that if air gets into the ABS assembly due to too much fluid loss, the method you speak of will not remedy the situation and you need this tool or a similar method that activates the ABS. I have speed bleeders so I don't need the jar with fluid in it. I just need to do an initial system clean through and then bleed normally after that.

Mike8675309 said:
That'll work on the 93+ Thunderbirds and is required for bleeding. (I have one paul if you need to borrow it)

The 89-92 don't need it as everything is part of the master cylinder.

Thanks Mike, I picked one up off E-Bay (NIB) for $50 before I saw your post. Looks like UMTC will have two at its disposal now. :D

pablon2 said:
My understanding is that if air gets into the ABS assembly due to too much fluid loss, the method you speak of will not remedy the situation and you need this tool or a similar method that activates the ABS. I have speed bleeders so I don't need the jar with fluid in it. I just need to do an initial system clean through and then bleed normally after that.

I thought the same thing, but the local ford shop out here told me that the manual method will work the same. I had to bleed mine and there was a lot of fluid lost, but the manual bleeding did the trick. Only thing was that it took several tries to get the air out. Honestly, next time I think I will just fork out the $50 for the bleeder tool. We bled the brakes out several times before the system worked like it should, but in the end, it worked.

Glad you got the one you needed--I think I will look for that tool too, so I will have it for next time.

Back