Throttle Body placement on non MAF application

eightvalver

Throttle Body placement on non MAF application
I already placed my charger on my car. It is a MAP type system.
I can rout piping from the blower outlet to the intercooler then straight to my intake manifold where the throttle body is right?

as opposed to fabricating a throttle body plate and having a throttle body attached to the piping on the inlet of the blower right?

thanks

With the MAP system you have freedom to mount things wherever you want, but you have to remember that the M90 is a positive displacement blower. Because of this you must either limit the air to the blower or have a place for the air to go during non-boost situations.

The stock SC setup puts the throttle in front of the blower so that under non-boost conditions the blower operates in a vacuum thereby reducing the amount of air it processes and then a bypass re-routes the extra air back to the inlet. If the blower is not operating in a vacuum it will process too much air to be returned via the bypass valve and it will consume a much larger amount of power spinning the blower.

Some people have vented the blower to atmosphere or created a larger bypass valve to accomodate the extra air. I think it would be best to find a way to retain the stock TB orientation.

Regarding the other question about boost levels, to be doing a custom application like this you should be logging air charge temps anyway via something like an LM-1 WB02 meter. This way you will be able to determine the safe boost level for your motor. As long as intake manifold air temps don't exceed 200 deg you can run whatever boost you want. I'd look at alcohol injection as an alternative to intercooling if you can't or don't want to run an IC. I've seen people run over 10psi without an IC but things need to be set up correctly to do so. Certainly GTP's have run over 5-6psi in their applications. ;)

Back