screwed????

ThunderDave

Well, I had gotten everything ready to put on the ported blower and plenum I had gotten. When I started up the car, the sc belt was screeching to the point it started smoking.:eek: I cut it off and fought my way through the smoke from burning rubber and found the sc was locked up.:mad:

I took everything back off and found the front left bolt for the top had gone through and was hitting the edge of the rotor on that side.:eek: :mad:
I didn't think the stock bolts should do that. I got it to spin half turns, stopping where the hole had been pushed through.

I've sanded down the edge on the rotor and housing where it will turn freely again. Please tell me someone else has had this happen before.:eek:

I will once again try to install it, hope it goes better this time.

Re: Hat Bolt Trouble

RadiumSC said:
I took everything back off and found the front left bolt for the top had gone through and was hitting the edge of the rotor on that side.:eek: :mad:
On all the blowers I've ever seen, the hat bolt holes were blind tapped. They did not go through the case at all.

When I replaced my hat bolts, I was careful not to get them to long & made sure they did Not bottom out in the holes.

You'd better make sure you seal the bolt hole with RTV around the hole.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
On all the blowers I've ever seen, the hat bolt holes were blind tapped. They did not go through the case at all.

When I replaced my hat bolts, I was careful not to get them to long & made sure they did Not bottom out in the holes.

You'd better make sure you seal the bolt hole with RTV around the hole.

68COUGAR

I couldn't believe that the stock bolt did it either. I guess I need to get a shorter one. The rotor egdes on that side don't look bad after sanding them down. I hope it will be ok.

Well, it's on the car and running smoothly. Scary thing is, when I was putting it back together, the other bolt on the front did the same thing.:eek: I noticed it before it messed up the rotors.:rolleyes: Why would this happen with the stock bolts and top? Is it possible that someone else that had this blower, at one time used bolts that were too long? These same stock bolts worked fine on my blower, with no issues.:confused:

Back