PDA

View Full Version : New dyno numbers

Mike Puckett
03-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Here are my last 3 dyno pulls. Unfortunately the engine was too hot after the last one where Tommy hit the target A/F to get a max RWHP. I'd like to see the A/F a little flatter around the 12.2 mark but this is good. I think that on a cool engine I'd hit the 340 rwhp mark. After lunch with a nice cool engine he forget to plug the module back into the EEC and what would have been my best run was good at 332 but with an A/F at 10.5 not as high as it could've been. Had the A/F been where it was with the tune it would have been much higher. We weren't getting a good tach signal so there weren't any torque readings. It was getting late in the day and I didn't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic we didn't try to run it again with a cool engine. So next weekend I'll run it at Atlanta Dragway. It's a test and tune day so I'll get there early to I'll get a good cooldown and try for that elusive 12.5 ET. Then I've got to practice my reaction times and dial in my shift light for the 13.0 minimum I have to run in the points series.

JStudrawa
03-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Here are my last 3 dyno pulls. Unfortunately the engine was too hot after the last one where Tommy hit the target A/F to get a max RWHP. I'd like to see the A/F a little flatter around the 12.2 mark but this is good. I think that on a cool engine I'd hit the 340 rwhp mark. After lunch with a nice cool engine he forget to plug the module back into the EEC and what would have been my best run was good at 332 but with an A/F at 10.5 not as high as it could've been. Had the A/F been where it was with the tune it would have been much higher. We weren't getting a good tach signal so there weren't any torque readings. It was getting late in the day and I didn't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic we didn't try to run it again with a cool engine. So next weekend I'll run it at Atlanta Dragway. It's a test and tune day so I'll get there early to I'll get a good cooldown and try for that elusive 12.5 ET. Then I've got to practice my reaction times and dial in my shift light for the 13.0 minimum I have to run in the points series.

Very nice , Mike. She was sounding great this weekend.

When is the race Saturday?

Mike Puckett
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Gates open at noon till 5 pm. I'll get there around 11 am.

JStudrawa
03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Gates open at noon till 5 pm. I'll get there around 11 am.

I was thinking about heading there, but I need to drop my car off at G&S to get my front end looked at Saturday. Then Sunday Matt should be coming over to check out my CEL and maybe replace some sensors.

Mike Puckett
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
We'll miss you!

JStudrawa
03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Mike, how did you run?

Mike Puckett
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I didn't hit my 12.5 goal but I ran consistent high 12's. My 1st run I matched up with what was probably the quickest of the 4 Neon SRT-4s. I ran a 12.996 to his 13.175. I had a .027 light to his .026. I blew him out coming out of the hole to the 60' marker and held a .2 sec advantage all the way down the track. My next run was against a 11.006 Supra turbo. I ran a 12.816 for my best time of the day. My 60' time was a 1.890. I redlighted on him but it didn't help. I still lost. I ran a 12.965 against my friend's 17.4 Explorer. I had a .007 light and another 1.890 60'. Since it was really hard to start with the tune being real lean on the bottom end, I pulled the chip for my last run. Low and behold I ran a 13.034 and bogged it off the line so it would have been another 12.9 had I launched good. My 60' time was only a 2.004 so another 1.890 and that would have been a 12.9. I took out a 350 LT1 Firebuzzard pretty bad with his 14.8. I'll leave the chip out till I can get it retuned. If I can run 13.0-13.1 that's where I want to be. I've talked to Tommy so he'll compensate for all that and retune it next time I go there. I want that A/F a little flatter between 12.2 and 12.5.

JStudrawa
03-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the help tonight. I'll watch the oil and coolant, but I better start saving my dimes. Either way, it's going to happen sooner or later :(

Mike Puckett
03-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I called Rick to let him know about it so he'll be prpared when he checks it out.

JStudrawa
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
I called Rick to let him know about it so he'll be prpared when he checks it out.

Thanks. My tax return may have a use after all :(

SCme
03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the help tonight. I'll watch the oil and coolant, but I better start saving my dimes. Either way, it's going to happen sooner or later :(

So I take it the Cougar has caught the HG virus? Sounds like time for a cam, ported heads... How much is that tax return???:D :p

JStudrawa
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
So I take it the Cougar has caught the HG virus? Sounds like time for a cam, ported heads... How much is that tax return???:D :p

Lol, it will cover all that, but I was already spending against it for the clutch and couch :)

Now Post Apartments is trying to screw me out of $500 referal fee for a buddy moving into the complex. Fun, now get to fight with them.

XR7 Dave
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Mike, I think he needs to tune it 11.8 across the board. Do you know how he's adjusting AFR? Is he using the MAF table or is he using the WOT multiplier? How close is actual AFR compared to the AFR commanded in the fuel tables?

Something just doesn't seem right. Was it really bad air? With 340rwhp you should be running consistent 12.60's.

Mike Puckett
03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Dave, the biggest problem I had was starting the car. I'd have to crank it 3-5 times before it would start. It was just too lean on the bottom end and a tad too rich on the top. I was thinking more of about 12.2 across the board and I know that Jerry tunes them for 12.0. The engine seems to like it better leaner than richer. To be honest I don't know what method Tommy uses to tune them. I know he plays with the fuel tables but that's all I know. I suppose that if you called him he'd be happy to discuss it. Driving to the track in the morning it felt much stronger at 75mph cruising than it did in the evening w/o the chip. It feels neat to have more acceleration in 5th than most cars have going to passing gear. Without the chip on my last run of the day my trap speed was 108mph with a 13.03 as opposed to a 'chipped' best run of 12.81 at 106mph. Since 13.0 is my minimum allowable ET I won't need it tuned for the point series. I'd like to have it tuned so that I can run it easy and shift at 5000 and run just above a 13.0. The air was Ok with temps in the 60's to low 70's & partly cloudy. The best air here is usually around 9-11 in the morning when it's sunny and chilly.

XR7 Dave
03-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I should have come down there and tuned you guys.

Fuel tables represent your target AFR and nothing more. Fuel tables should be set to 11.8AFR at WOT and then the MAF table adjusted until actual matches commanded. Your car might like it lean on the dyno but I guarantee it doesn't like it lean on the top half of the track. Remember, on the dyno your car is under load for 5-6 seconds. On the track it is under load for 13 seconds or more.

People like Jim Demmitt have run very fast on the stock program. There really isn't too much wrong with the stock program for WOT running, but your part throttle operation is 100% subject to tuning. When it's right the car is responsive and gets good mileage. When it's not the car will be finicky and sluggish.

Mike Puckett
03-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Well Dave, I ran it without the SCT module plugged in today and it ran awesome for a stock tune. The MAF has the recommended purple sample tube. It was in the mid 50's all day with about 30% humidity with a gusty 10mph head wind blowing at us down the track. One of the guys had a handheld weather monitor that showed the effective altitude at 582 ft instead of the actual of 1100. My 1st time trial I set my shift light at 5600 and ran a 12.911 @ 108.08mph with 8.341 @ 86.70 in the 1/8. Whoa, too quick, so for the next run 2 hrs later I dialed back to 5300 causing me to shift to 5th before the finish line and I ran a.......12.911 again. 1st time I've ever run the exact same e.t. back to back. But, the 2 runs were completely different otherwise. The 2nd's trap speed was 104.53 mph(5th gear) with the 1/8 e.t. at 8.262 @ 84.53 mph. Figure that one out!
Still too quick I dialed it back to 5000 rpm and dialed a 13.0 for eliminations. Unfortunately I ran a 13.251 and lost. We then switched to the 1/8 mi due to the wind. My 1st run on the 1/8th I caught my opponent before the 330' mark passed her, backed out of it, and ran an 8.600 for the win. On my last run I got a great light, .015, but ran an 8.43 on my 8.25 dial and lost again to end the day. I thought for sure I'd run quicker but didn't. That's alright it was butt freezing cold by then and I was glad to go home. I think the track was so cold I lost traction. I don't really need a tune at this point as I'm already too quick. I have a 13.0 minimum. So, I'll leave it in an antistatic bag in the dash pocket till I can retune it. Thanks for the info on the tuning method. I'll pass it along to Tommy when he redoes it. The car feels much stronger with the tune when cruising on the interstate. I don't have to kick the gas pedal quite as much to jump to 90 from 75 when I pass somebody.