CMRE Engine Update...any suggestions on where to go next?

Mike Manzo

Ok, I have been in the hospital since the first of this month and in the middle of it all I was given the verdict on my old CMRE Stage 1.5 (Stage 1 heads/cam, S2 rods/pistons)...

The shop that cracked it open said it suffered from detonation (no suprise there and that was my fault), but other than that it is in very good shape, so they went forward with re-hone, new seals, bearings, etc...

Anyway, now that this thing is apart and understanding that winning races is NOT what I want for this car, but good performance and show-boatin' is about it, what should I do to achieve this goal?

Here is what the engine is now:

CMRE Stage 1.5
Flow-Matched 42s from Ford Racing (Bosch)
MPII everything (blower, 85mm TB, tube, etc etc)
255lph FI pump
IC Fan (whoopie)
Thermal wrapped lower IC tube
Jet-Hot coated headers

Here is what I DONT want to bother with:

Meth or alcohol injection
Having to buy bigger injectors or a larger fuel pump...

What I dont mind dealing with:

FMIC or custom intercooler if needed...

I am looking to retire the 94 to a show car with balls and longevity. I'll leave the crazy ~~~~ for Dave/Dave and the AR car (jesus christ)...

Now, I am not an old man here and dont want a puttering lead sled...I would like to achieve something in the mid 300s for power, but I would like to see if I could possibly do that with what I have already and not have to fuss with anything else. I also want to make sure that the engine doesnt kill itself (running lean, detonation, etc)...I think this car might see the track ONCE just for grins, but that would just be to see what it can do. If I could pop off high 300s rwhp without having to resort to any additional mods, holy ~~~~ would I be happy, but I want to be more realistic.

I have no problems getting a different cam or telling the shop to do this and that with the engine while it is there. I want to drive the car for the next 50k miles without dickin around with it, basically.... I have an SHO to rebuild and a Cobra that I wouldnt mind camming and throwing a whipple on...

The SC will just be a show-princess with a new paint job, shave door handles and locks and maybe a complete repaint in Acura's Black Pearl paint with the MPII polished blower and IC tube... gonna be nice...

I don't think you are going to hit your HP goals with 42 lb injectors. But I could be wrong.

Do you have a C&L MAF? How are you compensating for the larger injectors?

You haven't said what sort of tuning arrangement you have going on. You have a lot of mods. It sounds like time for a custom tune if you don't have one already.

Oh....Forgot to mention...

Right now its running an EEC tuner, but we might chuck that and go with something else, but right now the EEC Tuner is whats being used.

The MAF is a C&L 80mm and while the sampling tube is the one used for 42s, the EEC tuner is taking care of the program anyway.

Yeah, I have a lot of bolt on ~~~~...the engine dyno'd with an S-Model at about 410hp at the crank, so I am hoping for 400-450 crank with the new items (underdrive pulleys, MPII, etc) and even then it wasnt tuned "optimally".

If I am not mistaken, one of the early dyno runs with this engine was done with 38lb injectors, not 42s and Coy Miller said they were running 100% duty cycle, so we went with the Lucas 42s back in the day... While the Lucas have been sold, the Bosch are destined for the motor and SHOULD be good enough considering they WERE before, but then again that was the S-Model and not the MP-II... The S was flowing about 15-17psi and the MPII (with 5%) was putting down about 18? (ghetto guessed because it pegged stock needle hard)...If need be, I'll take the 5% off and revert to stock size pulley...

Worst case, I'll get 50s, but I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to....

Back