Double intercooler

T-bird Tim

Anyone installed the new double IC from spinning wheels sc. They look really nice but is the performance offered from this type even close to the gains made by installing a MP front mount? Would it be a noticeable difference from what I have now, which is a stock IC with a fan?

I've got one and can attest to its performance...

The info comes from last April during our local dyno tune:

Ambient Temp: 76*F with a home ported Gen II blower, 8% OD, pushing about 15 lbs of boost. The 4th dyno pull of the session Dave D logged the intake temp. It never went above 95*F to the end of my pull. Again, that was on the 4th pull, not the first. I do have an IC fan with a shroud that helps out a lot.

The stock AC condensor is still in place too, blocking airflow.

All-in-all, with a few bolt-on parts I hit 250 rwhp through an auto with the stock injectors and cam (heads too).

They are made of the highest quality and the best design I have seen to date for a double IC.

Sounds good. I guess I can go ahead and get the double IC then and some money. With you making those kind of numbers with an internally stock motor; I should see pretty good results from mine. The car currently has these mods: Stegmeier ported sc and intake, 85mm T-body, ported heads, custom grind cam, overdrive/underdrive pulleys, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, headers with full exhaust, raised top, 3.5 intake, soon to have 90mm MAF, custom tuned and chipped, 10% overdrive sc pulley, 3:73 gears, trans go shift kit, intercooler fan and still isnt fast enough. After the new double IC and MAFS I'm going to try to get some dyno time to get some real numbers out of it.

T-bird Tim said:
Sounds good. I guess I can go ahead and get the double IC then and some money. With you making those kind of numbers with an internally stock motor; I should see pretty good results from mine. The car currently has these mods: Stegmeier ported sc and intake, 85mm T-body, ported heads, custom grind cam, overdrive/underdrive pulleys, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, headers with full exhaust, raised top, 3.5 intake, soon to have 90mm MAF, custom tuned and chipped, 10% overdrive sc pulley, 3:73 gears, trans go shift kit, intercooler fan and still isnt fast enough. After the new double IC and MAFS I'm going to try to get some dyno time to get some real numbers out of it.

If you have any questions about how they are built just E mail me at
kenny.wagner@fleetpride.com. I will answer any questions you have

Ken

T-bird Tim said:

Honestly, your limiting factor in that is your shift kit. I've got the same and like clock work I shift into OD at 4200 rpm. Nothing I can do about it. I think I'm making more power than the 248.8 that I dyno'd, but I can't tell because I can't get high enough in the rpm range in 3rd gear.

I'm going to have ported heads, 42 lb injectors and a valve body soon so I will know what I have instead of what I *might have because of my shift kit.

And Ken will answer any question you have about the IC. His work is second to none, getting to see it first-hand as I do.

What else do you suggest to beef up the transmission? I need more seat of the pants feel to it than I have now. I have plenty of the power but the tranny isnt doing it's part. Would it be worth the trouble to do a 5-speed conversion?

T-bird Tim said:
What else do you suggest to beef up the transmission? I need more seat of the pants feel to it than I have now. I have plenty of the power but the tranny isnt doing it's part. Would it be worth the trouble to do a 5-speed conversion?

I wouldn't do the 5-speed conversion, but that's just me. I tend to like my auto. As already mentioned, if you get a non-locking torque converter, that will help the feel of the transmission a lot and make you quicker in the higher gears. However, you'll still be stuck with the tranny shifting into OD on you. The only way to change that is to get a completely different valve body. Lentech (my recommendation) makes one with an electronic OD delete. Art Carr also makes a valve body, but it does not have an electronic OD delete, but instead makes it pressure regulated, (like stock).

Once your tranny goes (and it will if you drive it hard) I highly recommend a Lentech tranny. They are the best built AOD you can buy.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to the transmission shops this weekend to check out prices on rebuild with a better torque converter.

Back