sputtered died and wont turn back on

A

al35thsc

sputtered died and wont turn back on

my sc died sunday morning and it has me stumped.

saturday was the southern california cruise, and i easily put about 200 miles on the odometer. it didn't give me a single problem except for overheating a bit on a steep hill (got to the m in norm but nothing new there).

the following day, however, was not as good. on my way to my gf's house, it died. i was driving ~75-85 mph on the freeway and it ran fine. i got off the freeway and did some complete stops and side streets. i reached an intersection and needed to make a right turn. well i was on the phone at the same time and was approaching the intersection slowing to a complete stop and the tach bounced around eradically from 600-1500 rpms and the engine sounded like it sputtered and then it died. i had no warning lights and everything was fine, then all the lights on the cluster went on and i cranked and cranked but it wouldn't turn.

i then towed it to my gf's house and it is sittign there as i type. i talked to john shelton and adam mullen and both suggested the cam sesnor. so i decided to buy one from ford today and went to replace it but had no luck. i have fuel reaching the fuel rail, and the fuel pump still primes after each key on engine off.

i ran codes with a code reader from walmart it beeps and flashes so it does the trick. it gave me a BAP sensor code and a tps code, if i remember they were codes 12 and 122.

my question is if they are shot, would they have given me the symptoms i described...or in ohter words are the symptoms i described related to these two sensors?

al

ps this engine has about 1800 miles on it, and the car itself has about 138k, the tranny has about 11k. should i replace the sensors or should i take it to someone and let them deal with it??? i'd prefer the former than the later ofcourse, that is why i am here!

Re: sputtered died and wont turn back on

Crank sensor. One question....did they (whoever did the engine swap) pull the old harmonic balancer and replace it on the new engine? If so, check to see if the crank-bolt and/or balancer is broken. It's hard to tell by looking at it because the pulleys will turn while you try to crank the engine, but the engine won't fire. Remove the drive belts and give the pulley a yank, if it's broke, you'll know because it will almost come off the crankshaft into your hand. If it's not broken (the bolt or the balancer), my money is still on the crank sensor...when it goes bad, the tach will jump for a second or two, the engine will die, and it won't fire back up.

but...

i dont get the upshift light when trying to crank...

al

Is the upshift light good - it should be on until you crank the engine.

If you have no upshift light, I would say the DIS module went south. SCgirl got one for under $100 so you may want to try that if you are going to go to a mech. If it is the DIS, you'll save money and if not you've got spare parts.

I would much rather pay $100 for the DIS than $60 for the crank sensor - crank sensors suck to replace.

Aaron

oh, i forgot to psot here...its int he shop already and it looks like the damper took teh crank bolt out and messep up the crank sensor, if not then the next thing i will do is have them put in the dis module...but i think its that, mr floyd recomended it without knowing what was up, and thats what it ended up ebing, cant argue with that BABY!!! thats results :lol:

al

Bad crank sensor! Change the crank sensor even if you replace the damper. I beleive that bad crank sensors are breaking the bolts and possibly causing the damper to fail as well. The sudden on and off of the ignition is a tremendous strain on the dampener which has to drive the accessories and SC. At least get a 98 Mustang 3.8L bolt and washer.
Jerry

yeah, thats whats getting done to it, cranks sensor, new balancer, new crank bolt...and all under warranty, i just have to pay for parts...drag!

al

Back