3.8SC or 393 for the Crown Vic?

Kevin Varnes

I've been debating this in my mind for a while now. I've got a '91 Crown Vic ex-police car in pretty good condition. Right now it's got a tired 351W (stock) with AOD trans and a 3.55TL. About two years ago (I don't drive it a lot), I put on a set of D0OE 351W heads, Performer RPM intake, 472/496 Comp Cam and Holley 4 bbl on it to try to wake it up. Still running the stock manifolds and dual exhaust. I haven't done a compression test on it, but it just feels tired. Given it's years of service I'm not surprised. Anyway here is my dilemma. I've got a perfectly good rebuilt 3.8SC long block sitting on an engine stand with nothing to go into right now (had it built up for a while). I've thought several times about putting that into the CV. Here are the problems I can think of off the top of my head with this A) the car is carb'd so I'd have to replumb the fuel lines and add a hi pressure electronic fuel pump B) the 3.8 v6 was never intended to go into the Panther chassis (at least as far as I know), so I'd need to fab some custom engine mounts C) obviously the electrical system will be completely different (not really worried about that). ORRRR I can build up a 393 stroker using the original engine. Obviously the heads aren't the greatest flowing SBF heads ever made, but they're what I have for now and they're in good shape. The 393 would be much easier to keep original appearing and probably easier overall from a fabricating standpoint. I think the 3.8SC would be really interesting though. There should be more than enough room in the engine bay to house a decent IC and have room to change the plugs from the top. I am assuming Mustang headers should be pretty close to fitting since SBF Mustang headers work in this chassis. I believe the weight should be a little less than the iron headed 351 even with the blower and plumbing on it (handling is a performance goal of the car).

So what do you guys think? I think either one would make a pretty cool car. No matter what direction I go I will swap in one of my spare M5R2's so the AOD is out. I'm basically looking for a fun, fast street cruiser.

Unless you really want an SC engine in there, the stroker 351W makes a lot more sense from ease of installation, and costs. But of course, if we had any sense, we wouldn't be in this hobby to begin with. :p

cheers
Ed N.

Yeah I know it isn't the easiest or cheapest option. But the thought of dropping some lb's, getting some weight off in front of the front wheels, and possibly having some chance at fuel economy with performance has me thinking. Plus it would be different. It's funny because when I bought the car I bought it because of what it is: a full frame, rear drive, carbureted, V8 full size car and I wanted something that was simple/easy/cheap/fun to work on. Now I'm thinking of taking two of those attributes away.

I would stick with a v-8 build. Obviously for ease of installation. If its fuel economy you're looking for, the sc isnt such a good choice either. If you drive it like an old lady and just putt around I guess it would work. The fact is though, once you have an SC you feel the need to upgrade everything that you can on it. This and the fact that you'll get addicted to the sound of an overdriven blower; well there goes your gas mileage. Good luck on whatever you decide, just my two cents worth.

One vote for the 3.8L. I think that would rock. Four good reasons:

(1) Everyone who looks at your bay would be shaking their heads
(2) You've got the parts
(3) You would definitely get better gas mileage.
(4) EFI and a way more refined motor.

Yeah, it'll be more of a pain to pull off, but I'm sure you can handle it. You would definitely be the first to do something like that too!

Micah

Crown Vic weight?

Isn't the CV quite a bit heavier than the SC? That would lead me to believe that the SC motor would be Less Responsive in the CV.

With the 393, you'd have a Sleeper CV. Yeah, Sleeper is GOOD!!!!!!

68COUGAR

393?

408 or 427 I;d say..Yeah stroke that 351 to a 427..Sweettttttttttttt

And if nto fuel injection already..Easy enough to swap in

I was thinking 393 because I can go the budget route and use stock length 351W rods and 302 pistons and a stroker crank.

Surprising as it may be the Crown Vic is actually pretty close in weight to a SC. So aside from it having the aerodynamics of a brick it should get up and run pretty well even with 215hp (btw the stock 351 puts out a wheezy 180hp, using my butt-meter dyno I'd say in it's tired state I'm at a strong 100hp at the wheels). Several guys have done 5.0HO swaps (225hp) and are in the low 15's to high 14's and lower when they are actually set up to run.

When I talk about economy I mean something better than the 15mpg I get with the current 351 on the highway and driving like an old lady. It would be nice to take a road trip in the car without having to take out another mortgage on my house.

So far it seems like Micah and myself are insane for thinking about this and I should just stick with the Windsor mill.

Maybe I'll swap in the 5 speed first with the current engine and see how I feel about it. The AOD just doesn't excite me when driving at all.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming if you have an opinion.

So I should do the SC engine out of spite? Well, wouldn't be the first time.

I think you and Doug are the only people that like me anyways so I'm not really losing/gaining anything there.

Crap now I need to start saving up for THREE freaking A/R's.

Kevin I remember you came to look at my SC when I was considering selling it years ago. And I think you came over to Doug's once while I stopped by on a weekend that Nick and Micah came up. Anyhow I like you too, but I think you'd have an easier go at the 351 buildup.

If you really want to put the SC motor in something cool, how about a Festiva? or a Probe GT and convert it to RWD.

Just some ideas. The 3.8L would be neat, but I think the 351 would be much less hassle. With the 5-speed you might get ok mileage as long as you don't go too radical on the cam and carb.

Do the 3.8L SC and while your at it...swap the bolt pattern to 4.25! Yeah, that should get em howling.

Micah

Back