ABS / Possible Relay Issue

Billabong089

Alright, My brakes failed, I noticed both the ABS And Brake light on and thought it was odd, so I drove very little, pumped the brakes and gradually became as hard as a rock.

The accumulator is new, from prior. So I tested various parts of the ABS system via Ford Manual. I changed out the relay due to the fact that the motor would run when directly connected to power.

Well the relay fixed it for a day or two, but now the current new relay was making a clicking noise like it was real loud and you could feel it through the casing and eventually it would stop working and would work again in like an hour or so. So I was like hmmm maybe this relay is defective, so I got a different manufactured one from another company and I put it in and bam started doing the clicking thing, and trust me its NOT normal.

I read the volts at the two terminals on the relay harness... 14.5-14.7.. is that too high? I noticed when I turned the engine fan on and had other things on, the volts dropped to around 12volts and there was no clicking.

I'm scared to drive it thinking my brakes could fail, feels like im driving a death trap, with the suspension sounding like it will fall off and now the brakes failed..lol.. help :confused:

Could be the pressure sensor/switch is failing. The pressure switch is a fairly expensive part. Depending on the age of the hydraulic unit, you probably should replace the whole thing. Since you recently purchased a new accumulator from Prior, they will probably cut you a deal on a unit without the accumulator. (When I got mine from Prior I had recently purchased the accumulator from them to see if that would fix my old unit, so they knocked the price down a little on the hydraulic pump assembly without the accumulator.)

any ideas guys? Sometimes the pump goes on and the relay works and other times it does not...Electrical issue... Pressure switch?

Well, the pressure switch senses when the operating pressure has dropped near or below the proper level at which time it sends a signal to the relay. The relay provides power to the pump. A good alternator outputs around 14.5 VDC to the battery, so if there are no other loads on the system I guess you could potentially get that level at the relay. That seems a little high, though. It could be that the hydraulic pump is failing and it is drawing more power to try to reach the correct operating pressure, or the pressure sensor is flaky and causing the pump to overwork. I've got some detailed write-ups on the Teves Mark II system if you want copies of them. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you...

Back