PDA

View Full Version : Re-Tapping Header Bolt...

darkstar_one
03-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Okay well i have this annoying exhaust leak that when you smash on the pedal you can smell it in the interior of the car. Not only is it annoying but embarrassing when the new misses drives with me. That and i dont want to cut my life short due to carbon manoxide poisining... Anywho anyone know what the correct size to do it next would be. The OEM bolt was a 8x1.25MM and whats next a 8x1.50MM tap would do right? Thanks.

90XR7Cougar5spd
03-17-2006, 04:02 AM
Okay well i have this annoying exhaust leak that when you smash on the pedal you can smell it in the interior of the car. Not only is it annoying but embarrassing when the new misses drives with me. That and i dont want to cut my life short due to carbon manoxide poisining... Anywho anyone know what the correct size to do it next would be. The OEM bolt was a 8x1.25MM and whats next a 8x1.50MM tap would do right? Thanks.

The 1.25 and the 1.50 means nothing more than fine or coarse thread, the 1.25 being the fine thread. I think that the next step up for you would be a 10X1.25. Throw a helicoil in there and call it good.........

darkstar_one
03-17-2006, 04:40 AM
i think i got it. im going to go with the 9x1.25 i think the 10x1.25 is too big for the holes. i dont really feel like re-drilling.... plus its too tight of a space..

mywhite89
03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm going to make you figure it out the hard way like I did and buy a complete metric tap and die set!

j/k when I get home tonight I will check the size for you because I cannot remember. Think it was an 8mmx1.25 but don't quote me on that

EDIT: oh never mind I didn't read that right

Slysc
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Just helicoil it. I helicoiled mine just by taking the header off with the engine in the car and the heads on the engine. It worked great.