egr delete

They normally sell the blank-off plates on Spinning Wheels (E-Bay) that will bolt to the back of the cylinder head. Then you may have to find the right size plug to put in the header bung. However, I understand when you do this you will get a continuous 'check engine light' that might be even more annoying. A chip or EEC tuner can then delete that for you. Anyways, what is wrong with your EGR and will you have a problem with emmisions in your State?

Won't there be a slight power increase if you delete the EGR?

I was raised with the wisdom that you want to fill your cylinders with stuff that goes BOOM. I dont think exhaust (CO) does that.

Im interested in doing this. Here in PA, if you dont drive your car over a certain number of miles a year, you dont need emissions :D I can live with the check engine light, but won't it affect something else, like air/fuel mixture??

Victor sells the caps for EGR delete as well as the block off plate. Give him a call, he is up 22 hours out of the day.

Ken

nick62087 said:
Won't there be a slight power increase if you delete the EGR?

I was raised with the wisdom that you want to fill your cylinders with stuff that goes BOOM. I dont think exhaust (CO) does that.

Im interested in doing this. Here in PA, if you dont drive your car over a certain number of miles a year, you dont need emissions :D I can live with the check engine light, but won't it affect something else, like air/fuel mixture??

In PA you still need all emission in tact. They do a visual check on emission.

I have been under the 5k each year for the past 6-7 years. Now I just have to find a way for the them not to check the catlless exhaust.:D

Ken

No Cel

I removed the EGR ('89 XR-7) when I had the headers put on. NEVER got a single CEL. That was about 6 yrs ago. No CEL, ever!!!!

68COUGAR

yes, but if u have a fake/holowed out cat, then it looks like your legal.
I had a hollowed cat on my dakota ;)

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

Had to vent a little on this subject! :D I have a '95 SC auto on whom I installed Kooks headers and SCP exhaust. Low and behold, awhile later, the little stinkin' EGR tube on the header breaks aloose, and I've got this highly annoying exhaust leak. S'pose it was the weight of the exhaust that caused it to crack. I would dearly love to get rid of the whole danged EGR EPA, anti-Capitalist, pinko setup, but can you do it without effecting performance and gas mileage? One other great benefit is getting rid of some exteraineous crap from under the hood, right? BTW, I am at the bottom of a jug of Rex Goliath, 47 Pound Rooster (Free Range-must be a fightin' rooster!) Merlot right now and am a little tight, so fergive the sarcasms. Love these cars in spite of some of their warts.

Don

:D

I took the fitting out of the exhaust manifold and welded the hole shut.

I'm not getting a CEL, but it still comes up whenever I pull the codes.

BTW, What in Hades good is EGR doing, anyhow?

No engineers here. Okay boys, tell us ignoramasses what the heck the original intent, and the actual outcome and result of EGR is, and whether we should 1) leave it the heck alone ,or 2) get friggin' rid of it. How's it effecting our gas mileage and performance, for example?

I just am old enough to remember when we didn't have all that EPA-inspired crap under the hood . . . .

Don

:D

the Only reason for EGR

The Only Valid reason for EGR is:

To suck some in-ert (carbon-monexide) gas back into the combustion chamber. Which (because of it's in'erness) will not combust.

So in laymens terns. EGR no matter if its from 1970 or 1989, it still involves Robbing Power that "could have been"

68COUGAR

If I remember correctly EGR is there to lower combustion chamber temperature to prevent forming nitrates in the exhaust gas. It also helps control spark knock under light load condiations. At wide open throttle it is off to allow full horsepower. Catch you later, Bob.

ok so here is the delemma my 92 has no egr factory not a place to even mount one if you wanted to of all the sc's ive owned 8 in total this is the only one that has problems with pinging. fuel is a major concern on this sc.

bad fuel ping ping ping. but it is the fastest one ive owned.

93 Octane

mannysc said:
bad fuel ping ping ping. but it is the fastest one ive owned.
I'm assuming that you use 93 octane, right? Also how old is the gas? If the car is being stored more than 3 months, you might try some "Stabil" in the gas. Have you tried running 5 gal. of race gas through the car?

68COUGAR

Back To The Original Question-- Does Any One Make An Egr Block Off For The Sc, Or Will A Mustang One Fit?

I have a factory egr blockoff plate email me a address ill send it to you. it bolts onto the back of plenum as for the one on exh I can send you something for that too. hows $10 including shipping itll probably cost half that to send it . and the $5 left will go in my tank for gas. let me know.

mannysc@msn.com or 909-475-8352

The egr also helps with fuel economy under cruise or light load. I don't remember exactly what it was from IC engines, but I would guess now that the warm air aids in the combustion process. Even though it isn't quality air itself, you didn't need the quality air. IE, you have enough quality air in there already, if you don't you would open the throttle more.

It probably increases cylinder pressure slightly as well (additional air in the cylinders that isn't combusting). Which would improve cruise/light load power and economy.

Helps the engine warm up as well.

Honestly, after that class I probably wouldn't ditch it. It is off under a load/WOT so the only thing it is hurting would be putting all that black gunk in the intake, which may cause a slight power loss over time.

well for some reason they didnt use egr in 92 but went back to it in later models. my 92 likes to ping. all my other sc's were not so picky about gas quality as my 92 . ive owned 89's 90-91-93 sc's 7 in all and a few ive owned as parts cars.

but as ive said my 92 is also the fastest ive owned. maybe a 1/2 second faster than the others in stock condition.

Back