Totaled tbird

D

danekejt

Totaled tbird

My kid totaled my bird yesterday afternoon. It is a dark day. Anyway, just want to get a feel on interest on parts from this car. If there is strong interest for stuff i will part it out if not i will turn it over to the insurance company and let them hack it up.

the car is a blue 91 5sp. has black interior cloth. all interior peices are in excellant shape. except the left bolster on the driver seat is worn from my fat butt getting in and out of the past 9 yrs. I just put in a brand new stock radiator last month. There are new toyo tires on the car. only 3 are good. the right rear was damaged in the accidant but all 4 rims are good.

The car has just under 130,000 on it. the front and rear bumper covers are no good. the decklid and hood and in good shape. Bothe doors are fine. All glass is good except the back window. that was blown out in the accidant.

so there is a brief description. I will check back to see if there is much interest. Thanks

John D
91sc

Re: Totaled tbird

I hope your Kid is ok!

I think there will be plenty of interest in SC parts and you will definitely make more money off it that the insurance company will give you, but the question is... Do you want to mess with it?

Totaled tbird

jason,
yeah the kid is ok. thank god. Dealing with parting it out that is what i have been wondering about. i figure i could sell off some parts: ie the interior stuff and the motor and then just turn it over to the junk yard. Have you had any experiance with doing this?

John D
Former 91sc owner

Yea I've parted out a few SC's in my day. The main things that are a major PITA are people who want you to hold parts for them, then never pay.... And shipping. Shipping is a real PITA, especially with big parts that EVERYONE wants, like bumper covers, seats, ground efx. Its a worthwhile affair as long as you have some time and patience.

Totaled tbird

i appreciate the advice. that is the stuff that i figured would be a pia. i am leaning toward turning it over to the insurance company to let them play with it. there is another sc that i am going to go look at. it is a 91sc white auto with 60000. so if i get that i might keep my wrecked one around for parts.

John D

Another problem I sort of ran into was trying to come up with prices for stuff (people always ask what you want for something and I had very little idea of an accurate value), or having several people want the same thing. If I were to part out another car I think I would just pull the stuff I thought was good, and e-bay it.

Totaled tbird

sounds like more and more that if i dont get this tbird to just turn it over to the insurance company. thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off you.

You might want to offer the whole thing up here. Someone else might be up for parting it out, or just having the spare parts around.

Just remember you can get at least $400-$500 for a running motor. These things are kinda hard to come by, and there's quite a few people looking for spares and/or a core for a rebuild.

For instance, I have 3 motors. The one in the car, the original still wrapped up in a bag and the 3rd that was used for the windage tray and oil pump (it was a 50k mile 95).

I'd just pull the motor (blower/tubes/sensors), tranny and rear end/axles. Then maybe the front seats and some of the electronics (like the whole engine wiring harness). Then pitch the rest. You'll get $1000 for the drivetrain and electronics easy.

Later,
Steve

P.S. Glad your kid's ok. Sounds like it was a nasty hit.

Totaled tbird

yeah thank god he is ok. it was a nasty hit. it buckled the roof on the passenger side. so it took a good wrap. thank god for big cars. thanks for all the advice from everyone.

JD, by all means keep the car. Selling/shipping parts is nowhere near the hassle you might think it is.

Got a pic of the car? What state are you in?

thanks,

'bird

totaled tbird

'bird
Thanks for the advice. believe it or not i found another bird today. It is a 91sc black with black leather interior. has all the goodies on it. get this, it has 7000 miles on it. this car is in perfect shape. there is nothing at all wrong with it. the dude is asking 8000 for it. Not sure if that is a good price. I was thinking of offering him 6500 or 7000 for it. kelly blue book has this car valued at a little under 5000. if i buy this car then i am going to keep my wrecked one hanging around. have to talk to my CFO(My Wife) to see what she thinks.

Jd

Re: totaled tbird

Since your kid is ok (Thank God) I think you should make him handle the disassembly and shipping as retribution for totaling your baby

Re: totaled tbird

Hmm, sounds like you were pretty impressed by the '91 you looked at. 7000 miles is fantastic in itself but weren't 91's among the highest in production number (the highest?). Don't want to set anyone off but your 6500-7000 would probably buy an extremely decent 94/95 and leave enough left over to pay for Jr's. soon-to-increase insurance rates. :)

Myself, I'm not crazy whatsoever about airbags or the late-model auto trans but I'd still like to move up to a 94/95 someday...hopefully soon. Anyways, thanks for sharing your find on the '91. Give it some good thought, give the CFO plenty of compliments, and good luck with whatever you decide.

'bird

Totaled tbird

Junior pays his own dam insurance but unfortanetly this one will hit my insurance not his. another reason why i am thinking of not letting the insurance company total it out. i am picking up the 91 bird today.

like you 'bird i am not that crazy about the 94/95 sc's.

john

Sun Roof Switch & Bezel

If your car has a Sunroof with a good switch & bezel, I'll buy them right now! Tell me what you want for them. My E-ddress is: cougar@qtm.net.

68COUGAR

Re: Sun Roof Switch & Bezel

actually 90 is the year of the sc production....15k i think in 90

91 is like 4-6k about normal, 94 is rarest, followed by 93 and then 92

Sorry Dennis, I'm not sure what you're saying

I am simply offering to buy parts off of a wrecked SC.

68COUGAR

Totaled tbird

68COUGAR my tbird did not have a sunroof. sorry for the delay in getting back to you. i might be buying the car back for the salvage price. will keep you all posted.

john
91sc

Back