Cork or PermaDry Molded Rubber which is better

Tin-Knocker105

I need to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket. So which one is better...
the rubber one (which i had on there already, but got damaged when i was removing it) .
or the cork ones

Let the debating begin...

I have the rubber ones and have re-used them after changing lifters. Thats the nice thing about them. But.... I don't think they seal very well. I still have oil dripping on my exhaust if I sit for a long time at a light.

The flexible rubber should be better. It'll last longer and conform to surface defects easily. Especially with stamped steel valve covers. Since ours are cast, cork could possibly work o.k (compressing the cork for a seal won't deform the sealing surface). But it wouldn't be best.

UPDATE
I finished changing the valve cover gasket no leaks any more.. however i have a leak from up from above the steering rack some where... I cleaned everything up and had the car heading down the driveway jacked up with stands to a level position and was under there for a good fifteen minutes (car running) and didn't see one drip of oil. But then i had my son hit the gas a little and bam there she was leaking again.
It has to be one of two things;
A hole in the pan , it's coming from that area and the motor mounts were all the way down when i bought it. I did replace them when i did the Head gaskets.
OR
It could be the high pressure hose for the PS. which is the way i leaning because it didn't leak until we gassed it spinning the PS pump then it leaked.
So... did the search for info and decided to do the RaceCougar eliminate the high pressure hose running under the oil pan trick. Ordered all the stuff from Jegs but the hose came in a 3 foot length so i ordered triple the fittings and will make up two other of the hoses to sell and recoup a small portion of the cost and help out somebody else in my position.
I'll post more later and maybe a couple Pict's.
later
tony
this is RaceCougars picture

Attachments

• power%20steering%20line.jpg
    power%20steering%20line.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Is yours a 4.6 or an SC because the picture is of a 4.6. I was just wondering if anyone had done the modified hose on a SC?

Rubber are better hands down. To get them to seal after 1 use or 2 uses or even 3 uses (assuming they are still intact) clean the head surface they touch and the valve cover surface they touch really good. Then, use some Blue RTV silicone lightly coat the freshly cleaned surfaces and place gasket in between. When you have to pull it apart again they will be nearly glued together.

Chris

Back