Missing a hose

richk

Car: 91 SC
Problem: Missing hose

I started converting my stock air intake to a K&N MAC setup. When I loosened the clamps on the "air cleaner outlet tube assy." (tube between MAF and TB) and started removing it there was no hose going to the small black elbow. I think it's the crankcase breather hose. I didn't find any loose hose or anything that looked like it should be connected to anything.

Did I identify the missing hose correctly?
Where does it go to (from?) on the engine?
Is there a PCV valve in this line?
It's probably been like that since I got the car; should I disconnect the battery to clear the EEC memory so it will re-learn (once I install the hose)?

The hose that is connected to the air inlet tube goes over to the driver side valve cover. The rubber hose that connects to that elbow goes to a hard tube that routes under the blower snout. Another hose connects it to a fitting on the valve cover. Some have removed that whole hose assembly and put on a small breather with a small air filter in it.

The hose that is connected to the air inlet tube goes over to the driver side valve cover. The rubber hose that connects to that elbow goes to a hard tube that routes under the blower snout. Another hose connects it to a fitting on the valve cover. Some have removed that whole hose assembly and put on a small breather with a small air filter in it.

RE Missing hose

Thanks for info.

RichK
Mike Puckett said:

I have done this before on other cars but if you look at the pcv system wouldnt this cause a vacuum leak condition. I mean the hose mentioned goes from the intake tube (after maf) to the drivers valve cover and then the other pass side valve cover has the pcv valve in it. It is my understanding that the pcv has vacuum to it and it sucks the bad gasses out of the crankcase into intake to be burned. correct well it draws in air from the other side of motor through the crankcase which is supplied by that black hard line under blower snout to the intake tract after the maf so the air is still metered. Am i correct here? so if you put the breather in the drivers side it would be sucking in unmeetered air through the pcv system. I know the logic is there but what does this actually do to the car. As said I have only done this to cars without maf systems..

just a question

That little hose is after the MAF if I recall correctly. Any air coming in there wouldn't be seen by the MAF so the engine wouldn't know what's happening so how much air can there be?

I always thought this was an emissions issue and pcv's allow for pressure relief without spilling hydrocarbon laden air into the atmosphere.

Sean

That little hose is after the MAF if I recall correctly. Any air coming in there wouldn't be seen by the MAF so the engine wouldn't know what's happening so how much air can there be?

I always thought this was an emissions issue and pcv's allow for pressure relief without spilling hydrocarbon laden air into the atmosphere.

Sean

Actually, yes, the air being sucked in through the vents is seen by the MAF as it goes by. That way, the fumes sucked in by the PCV valve are ALSO seen by the MAF, indirectly, to keep the PCV fumes from leaning the system out.

Follow it through and think about it a bit :)

RwP

Actually, yes, the air being sucked in through the vents is seen by the MAF as it goes by. That way, the fumes sucked in by the PCV valve are ALSO seen by the MAF, indirectly, to keep the PCV fumes from leaning the system out.

RwP

So what you are saying is that since the only air to enter the system has been seen by the MAF then recirculating a small bit of it downstream of the MAF is inconsequential.

I'm thinking I will install the PCV system into the new engine then. (with new PCV's though.)

Regards

Sean

Back