Pablo's Headgaskets

Miller

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL today I went to Pauls house to give him a hand with his HG's and to pay damon the rest of his money I owed him and to pick up my sweet tires he held for ransom.... we started pullign it apart and found some volcanic rock... take a look.... the rockers had clean oil on them so maybe the sbad when we pull the heads.... but.... we'll see

Picture054.jpg

Picture051.jpg

goo.jpg

Last edited:
God d*mn. My 182k mile motor was clean as a whistle when I did the hg's 2 summers ago.

I'm surprised the lifters weren't froze.

Last edited:
I smell total rebuild. Damn, Pablo did you ever change your oil since you own the car??????

Give me a call sometime.

Ken

That's really ugly. :eek:

1) non functional PCV system

2) crappy oil

3) short trips

4) not enough oil changes

Definitely have problems as this is NOT normal.

Well from what I surmise.

I have seen many 3.8 Ford motors looking like that. Usually not SC's though.

I bet he definately used a non detergent oil (never a synthetic for a fact)
The head gaskets are 100% original
And he definately ran hot when he blew the gaskets however that wouldnt lead to what we are seeing here.

Infrequesnt oil changes especially witha non detergent type oil can cause that and before he bought the car with around 50,000 who knows how often it was changed(currently over 100,000).

A malfunctioning PVC system can add to the problem as Dave has said but again the use of a non detergent oil and perhaps unfrequent oil changes before he bought the car may be a culprit.

Anyway my biggest fear is two many chunks dont get into the oil pan (possable pickup blockage). I think we can take care of it with little hassle unless he REALLY Over heated it and did something bad to the shortblock.

I have devised a plan using a 6 hp shop vac and lots of patience carb cleaner and oil to assure i6t goes as smooth as possable.

Worst case scenario he has a terrable rod knock and it needs to get rebuilt.

Thsi pictures my freind is why to use a good oil and change it!!!! As well as makeing sure your PVC valve is functioning properly.

Car did run good though till it took a doo doo (looks like it tok one too eh?)

I always said I rode her hard and put her away wet. She never went a day without me beating the hell outta her. :D

I know for a fact it ran hot when the HGs blew, and once when I first started having issues with the HGs when I went to KS back in April 04, but those are the only times it ever really ran hot.

I changed the oil every 2-3k miles, so I know I'm not the culprit for waiting too long to change the oil. Always used Valvoline 5-30 (winter) or 10-30 (summer). When I bought the car she supposedly had 54k miles on her. I'll never know for certain though because the odometer was replaced (at the dealer) prior to buying it, hence having the 120mph guage cluster and not the 145mph one. :\

I'm going to clean the living hell out of it over the next week or so. The car ran strong up until the HG's blew, so hopefully the bottom end is still good. Like Miller said, the oil on the rockers was clean, so that means the oil change after I drained the coolant and spun her over for ~2 minutes got fresh oil to all the parts. We'll see. I have faith in Grace. She's one tough b!tch.

i think your gonna need gasoline or diesel or jesus to clean that up. id go with the first 2, they are quick and cheap. carb cleaner wont really help. it dries up too quick.

EWWWWWWW.....Mine was clean too after I tore it apart to do a top end rebuild (150K miles).

Most of the gunk is on the lifter retainer plates so you can just take those off and clean it up. If the sludge is all loose then carb cleaner would be best. If it is hard to get off then use engine degreaser. Keep the oil in it while cleaning the lifter gallery out and then drain it whenever you are done.

Makes me want to change my oil every 500 miles.

Use synthetic from now on.

Don't use gasoline. Too flammable. Use Diesel fuel or you can try a couple cans of marvel mystery oil.

If it looks like this in the valley, you can expect lots of sludge build up in the bottom of the pan as well as the bottom of the block. At the very least I'd recommend pulling the pan and cleaning it all up, even if you don't want to pull the main and rod bearings.

A non-detergent oil will do that, but if Pablo has had the car for the last 100K then I think anything from a previous time would have at least somewhat cleaned away. I'm thinking that there is a current problem which is adding to the mess. It just doesn't look to me like it all occurred 100K miles ago. I could be wrong.

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up a used longblock for about $500 and just put his blower and accessories on it? Then rebuild that one for a spare.

Back