PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest In Water To Air Intercooler System

wakinyantanka
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Working on design right now for a water to air intercooler system with an ice set up for the dragstrip. Early dollar amount looks to be in the $850 range for the complete kit. This will probably require moving the battery to the trunk, but it is not a front mount design. This system will be installed where the stock I/C is. Since its using coolant to keep temperatures low placement is not as crucial. Actual intercooler efficiency is very good, this cooler can support 650 hp at 750cfm only has a .10 pressure drop. I believe this is just as good if not better than the big M/P and you have more control over the temperature of the air entering the engine.
I'm just starting this so be patient, I will post pics and keep all informed as I progress.:cool: :D

metalman
03-20-2006, 11:34 PM
That sounds great! Please keep me/us informed. I'm looking to upgrade my supercharger and intercooler late this year. This sound like a great option.

metalman

XxSlowpokexX
03-21-2006, 12:52 AM
This would come with a heat exchanger, wate rpump and everythimng to make it work?

wakinyantanka
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Yes everthing will be included with instruction on how to install. We will be using an intercooler with the dimensions of the spearco 2-231, which will be more than capable for our cars. Early numbers indicate that with an inlet temp of 400 deg. F, this system under full boost will drop to 138 deg. F, before using the icing system. I am very excited about this and can't wait to get it finished. I am currently selling my auto repair shop and am very busy, I should have the first prototype completed by mid April.:D
I will definetly keep everybody up to date. Pics coming soon.

Super XR7
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Very interested.

Mike

BT Motorsports
03-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes everthing will be included with instruction on how to install. We will be using an intercooler with the dimensions of the spearco 2-231, which will be more than capable for our cars. Early numbers indicate that with an inlet temp of 400 deg. F, this system under full boost will drop to 138 deg. F, before using the icing system.
A properly designed water/air system should keep charge temps within 20* of ambient. What is the ambient temp you are basing the 138* charge temp on?
Looking over the core size Spearco lists, you will need to step it up a bit to acheive the temps of an efficient system.

Paul

wakinyantanka
03-21-2006, 11:59 PM
A properly designed water/air system should keep charge temps within 20* of ambient. What is the ambient temp you are basing the 138* charge temp on?
Looking over the core size Spearco lists, you will need to step it up a bit to acheive the temps of an efficient system.

Paul

I think this can be acheived by properly setting up the system. With a good heat exchanger and a system that is set up to move fluid in such a way as to extract heat,similar to an A/C system, this can be done. Any system that pressurizes a fluid, exracts heat from the that fluid, then releases that pressurized fluid into an expansion chamber can greatly increase that fluids ability to remove heat. Couple that with an icing system and your ability to achieve far lower than 20* of ambient is possible. Of course humidity and ambient air play an important role in the final numbers, but I'm interested in having a system that is more controlable. Even with an intercooler the size of the 2-231. According to Spearco these units can move 1500cfm and can work on a turbo charged 7.4l engine pushing 30p.s.i.
I feel even at their worst, a liquid to air is more efficient than an air to air at it's best, especially for drag racing where, as you know, consistancy is the name of the game.
I am toying with the idea of creating a system that utilizes freon and an evaporator core to extract even more heat, but first things first. :cool:
Also, please remember that this is a prototype and I will have to work out some bugs. All in all I think it will be better and more cost effective.
I appreciatte all input and would like to say that any and all suggestions and constructive critizisms would be very helpful.

Thanks

mannysc
08-13-2006, 02:47 PM
with my home made water to air ic under my inverted made from a heater core i got intake temps down to 126 deg f useing iced anti freeze collant temp is 32 deg air temp was 104 the day i tested it and outlet temp was 352 at blower outlet of course my temp units were not the best . but they are close enuff to tell me the unit works great. but during summer with out ice the temps were around 230 after ic unit ,

as the only cooling comes from a motor cycle radiator with dual fans pirated from a kawasaki ninja

Merlon
08-14-2006, 08:17 PM
sounds like a good idea.

mannysc
08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
this was a home made setup for inverted blower i wanted to test water to air without lots of money spent . it worked great. so ive loctated a real ic unit to use since then i ran water from ic unit to a motor cycle radiator to cool it down then to cool can in trunk then back to ic unit . but at track it flows bypassing the radiator and straight o cool can which houses iced water.
so 32 deg water flows to ic unit i got intake charge temps to mid 120s in lower intake with this setup primative as it is. on a 104 deg f day