94 sc HELP!

coupeCorona

94 sc HELP! BAD MISFIRE

:mad: Alright Just Got Done Changing My Headgasket On My 94, When I Got He Car It Had A Real Bad Misfire To Her. So I Changed The Gasket, Had The Heads Milled, New Head Bolts, Spark Plugs, Wires, Oil Change And New Fluids. I Had Cleaned The Injectors And Even Clean That Engine Spottless. I Went Over All The Vaccum Lines Everything Is Connect. Made Sure The Wires (plugs) Were In The Right Spots. So I Fire Her Up She Started Right Up, Misfired Real Hard At First Then Not As Bad. And Now She Acts The Same Way Than When I Bought Her? She Also Smokes Real Bad When I Give It Throttle, Like Right out Of The Engine Bay By The Front Of The Exhaust Manifolds. also the car has a perfact idle at 950

Please Someone Help I Love These Cars And I Finally Got My 94 And She Is Acting Like A #$@$#. The Only Thing I Was Thinking Was The O2 Sensors?

Last edited:
If you painted her up she will smoke for while and if the head gaskets did blow you will have water in the exhaust. Make sure your intercooler tubes are well sealed and let her run. Make sure nothing is leaking and dose not over heat. It should be fine.

Did you go through all the ignition components before doing the hg's to diagnose that misfire? Might have not even been the hg's bc obviuosly the problem is still there. I'd say start diagnosing the ignition stuff (plugs, wires, DIS, coil pack, cam sensor, crank sensor, etc)

misfire

Start it up at night and pop the hood (must be totally dark), rev it up a bit from the throttle body and see if you have any wires blue arcing. I've seen brand new plugs with problems, and I've cracked plugs putting them in more that once. Could also be a loose plug.

Hope you find it.
Bob

misfire

i didint paint anything and it isnt just normal burn off smoke! when i get on the throttle i pours out of the fron tof the engine. dose anyone think it might be the vavles are bad? please someone help. how could i check the dis, coil pack, cam and crank sensors? i cant drive it anywhere

come on guys i know alot of you know what you are talking about when it comes to the supercoupe give me some info in how to fix lady!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

This kind of problem is hard to figure when we can`t see or hear it run. Best bet at this point is to run a compression test. The smoke has me miffed unless you have a huge exhaust leak or your rings are broke and you have blow by. Take off oil filler cap. Is there a lot of smoke cumming out of the engine? if so you have broken rings, hole though piston or blown gasket.
Some close up pic`s of the engine bay help as we can see if anything is wrong with your setup.
I know your frustration but you just need to take a break from it, go back and run these tests. The color of the plugs will tell you whats going on as well. I wish we had the answer to the problem but its not that easy. These Essex heads are prone to cracking along the spark plug holes when over heated but im sure you had them checked when you had them resurfaced. Check to see if you are losing antifreeze. Let us know what you find.

thanks for your input! what do you mean the color of the plugs? and i got the heads resurfanced. i will check the oil cap thing tommorow. pulling codes are they reliable as it sounds?

I'm not sure what you mean by reliable, but they are easy to pull and can help you locate problems. As for the smoke in the engine bay are you sure the valve cover gaskets aren't leaking?

What's pouring out???

What's coming out of the motor???? Oil---Coolant----Fuel????

I would say that a timing cover or valve cover gasket is not installed properly. I suggest checking these things first. Next, a bad miss has to do with either spark or ignition wires.

Solve the "pouring out" area first.

Don

pouring out

smoke is pouring out of the front of the engine. the smoke is coming out right in frint of the exhaust manifold on the passanger side. the valve covers are tighten all the way down. i dont see them leaking? dose anyone know where i can get a scanner to buy that isnt 2500 dollars?

scanners...

Any Sears or auto parts store will have a scanner for sale for cheap. They usually run about $30-40. They allow you to scan for codes. Are you getting a check engine light????

I might be able to help over the phone. Give me a call. Hopefully, I can help you figure it out.

Don

(973) 277-4294

blow by

well i started my car up and i took off the oil cap and there was alittle smoke and alot of air being buffed out? hope this is not what i think it is but if it is what do i do now? thanks guys

i took off the oil cap and there was alittle smoke and alot of air being buffed out

Ouch. As others have said, I think a compression test would be pretty revealing. If you don't have a compression tester, they're pretty cheap to get. If you post your results, I'm sure the good folks here will have some sound advice for you.

Sorry if I steered you wrong asking you to pull codes - sounds like the problem is more mechanical (massive blowby) rather than an electrical problem.

smoke

i found ou were the smoke is coming from! on the passanger side the pcv tubing that comes from the drivers side that connects into the intake. and on the driver side the dip stick tube has a hole in it! but still has the rough mis to her? is there suppose to be all that smoke running throught those pcv or is there more to be told?

i was talking to don on the phone and from everything that i was telling him his suggetion was that i blow a ring!!!! which is going to hurt the old credit card:) i am going to check the comperssion here tommorow.

anymore info would be great, thanks guys for everything:cool:

The sad part is that sometimes even with the right ring compressor you can still break a ring. Whats worse is it tears up the cylinder:eek:

No!!!!!

There is NOT supposed to be that much smoke there. Actually, under normal operating conditions, there should be NONE at all. It is just a vent for the crankcase to allow the gases to escape.

Again, I really do believe with all you told me that the bottom end is shot. Since you told me the engine sounds like banging sounds, something is VERY WRONG....

Hopefully, you can save the bird since you told me this is the dream car.

Any other questions, call me.

Don

Back