TRANNY PROBLEMS...please help

jjj_85

I just got me a 94 thunderbird 4.6L, and when i but it in drive, and gas it, it revs, then...slips into first. then when i punch it while going, at any speed, it sometimes just revs up, what could be wrong.....

How many miles are on it? Did you get it from a dealer? Its probably the torque converter. Check the fluid. If its brown and burned smelling, the trans has been destroyed. If its brand new and you bought this from a dealer, it was probably burned up, and they changed the fluid to hide it. Auto trans fluid must be changed regularly. By the time it burns and discolors, its too late.

i kinda got it from a dealer, i knew the guy tho so i got it whole sale, it was $4400 and the only option it doesnt have is a phone, would easily go for $6500. The tranny fluid is clean and in good condition, but its overfilled, would that matter? and theres 96k miles on it.

If the level is fine it sounds like your screwed. The only other thing I could suggest looking at would be the MLPS switch. It tells the tranmission or computer what gear the shifter is in. The '94's are known to be troublesome as Ford did not put a gasket to seal it from moisture. The '95's are suppose to have gaskets. From what I understand, when the switch is going the tranny will jump to neutral while in drive. You problem sounds more like something internal but I would still check to switch before dumping $1K in for a rebuild.

Back