small putter?

steveo86

on my '90 SC, I can hear a small puttering sound coming from what I think is the supercharger. I really hope this thing isn't going bad, or I'm screwed. It's hard to describe, but sounds like air is being leaked out somewhere in that area. Any ideas or does any of this even make sense?

Small Putter

Does it sound like there are rocks in your supercharger? Is it making the same amount of boost? How is your vacuum?

Here you go David, If you have the nessisary items to do this leak check this way I'd say this should be the best way to check it out. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19149
it's probably a leak somewhere, if it's a air like sounding noise it probably isin't the SC taking a dump. Normally when the SC takes a dump it sounds like marbles rattling around in the supercharger, or bad metal-scraping-metal sounds. I'd say a number of things to check around the supercharger could be the rubber bypass tube behind the SC, leaking EGR valve gasket or broken EGR valve to manifold tube, or possibly the spanner nut isin't tight and the seal is leaking there, but normally you woulin't hear that untill you are under boost. I'd just check around thoes areas and see if something isin't loose or missing. Oh, you may want to also check the PCV Valve and it's hoses, that could also cause a spitering sound. that's underneath the throttle linkage on the rear of the valve cover.
Hopefully it's something easy to find and fix, Good luck!
Greg

Leak test

Prepare yourself for lts of hose changing when you do this leak test. The test works great. I highly recommend it. My car ran 100 times better after testing and fixing mine.

Back