Anyone paint XR7 wheels black?

Pablo94SC

I noticed that the paint is a little faded/worn after getting her washed, so I started tossing around the idea to paint them black. Not only would it match the car, but it'd hide the brake dust. :p

If anyone has pics of these wheels painted black, can you post em? Thanks.

0o0o0o you ended up gettin it... whad'cha get it for.. you told me your max was $1200 , did you cradck or did the seller....... and picturesss

Wont hide the brake dust , trust me mine stay dirty on #4 (1st 35th) instead of black you get a turd brown color...
Looks good clean though.

S

An dblack doesnt hide curb rash very well..I'd keep em silver. If the powederocat is that bad try a high temp silver...However brake sudt tends to eat paint

They look pretty good, but there is some discoloration that I was hoping to be rid of. Plus, black wheels for the cost of a couple cans of paint and clear coat would be sweet.

Oh yeah, I picked her up for $1100. The engine and trans and perfect, but it will need upper control arms before too long, and the shifter is a little loose. Nothing a B&M won't fix.

I'm in the process of painting a set black for my 89 XR7. I bought the wheels cheap last summer and started sanding them down. I got one completely sanded and sprayed it with black primer, then black paint and finally with several coats of clear (all spray can stuff). It looked absolutely stunning when done. Problem is I didn't let it cure long enough before covering it up in the garage and the plastic stuck into the clear coat. Really irritated me too as I let it sit for 24+ hours before covering it. Guess it just wasn't cured enough though so now I gotta sand out the clear and respray it.

I think it will look pretty good with the wheels black on the black car. I DID see a picture of a black XR7 with the wheels painted black somewhere last summer but haven't got a clue where it was at. In my opinion, it looked badass. I also plan to get the clear corners up front as well.

Pablo94SC said:
Not too shabby looking. Did you run into any issues, or was it a fairly straight forward job?

Thats not my car, i saved that pic to do some photochoppin to put those black rims on my car. I seen that car in the for sale section a while back...

Derek

here ya go.... I did some VERY quick photochoppin with the wheels from the above posted pic and a black XR7 from the members pages. Ain't a perfect job but I think you can get the point. I think it would also look good with the black headlight covers instead of the clears like I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• XR7-blackwheels.jpg
    XR7-blackwheels.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 69
When your hot brake dust bakes into the clearcoat finish you definitely will not be happy with the results. It's not a long term answer. Thats why they use powdercoating nowadays

Here are my wheels. Not too bad for spray paint.

Attachments

• Nicks Car 007.jpg
    Nicks Car 007.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Nicks Car 002.jpg
    Nicks Car 002.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 38
Back