Techincal Review: SC Remote Oil Filter adapter

68COUGAR

Where shall I begin to tell the Truth?

BOTH the engine adapter & the Oil Filter mount, start out life as the Same Piece. BOTH of which end up being WORTHLESS!!!!!!!
!!!!!

The Engine adapter requires that you re-use an OLD oil filter gasket. The Kit doesn't come with ANY gaskets.

The Billet machine work is Top Notch, but the Enginerring is All Wrong!!!

Outside the (pirated) oil filter gasket, the remote adapter flange is .104". That's less than acceptible to me.

It gets WORSE! At 2 places on the block adapter, the metal between the gasket & a LEAK gets down to .034"

Now, about the brass In/Out adapters on the block adapter. The points of each adapter DO pass by each other, but not by much.

The ad says that the hose barbs & the hose provided are designed so you don't need hose clamps. Well THAT is TRUE!!!!!!!! I test fit both ends of the same hose, on both hose barbs. I wanted to see if the hoses would go past each other. Well, they DO, but just BARELY. I have no experience with Stainless Braided hose, but I "think" considering the TINY clearance between the supplied rubber hose, that braided hose would NOT clear each other.

Neither the Oil Filter thread OR the Oil Pressure Plug were sealed with teflon tape!

Now moving on to the remote mount!!!!!!!!!

I will say, with out a doubt, that the engineer who designed the remote mount has NEVER in his ENTIRE LIFE, EVER REMOVED a SINGLE OIL FILTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Guaran-DAMN-Tee that fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why, you ask, can I make that statement? I'll tell you!!!!!!!!!!

The mounting pad for the remote filter is 1" x 1". It's bolted (?) to something by Two 1/8" bolts in the center of that 1" sq. mounting pad. How STRONG is that?

Now let me tell you about the Remote Oil Filter Mount for a FL1 Ford oil filter. The Mount is 4" x 4" (16 sq. in.), and is held in place by four 1/4" bolts. 16 sq. in. & four 1/4" bolts is a secure mount.

One sq. inch, & two 1/8" bolts is NOT a good mount for an Oil Filter.

I'll ask EVERYBODY who's ever changed any oil filter? How many filter changes will this mount last, before you RIP the two .30" bolts outa what ever sheet metal they are bolted through?

I recommend a 4" x 4" alum plate be heli-arced to the 1 sq inch mounting pad. Then have alum. braces heli-arced from the 4" x 4" plate, to the sides of the adapter. Use Four 1/4" bolts to secure the 4" x 4" plate to anywhere you want to mount it.

That's my review, & I'm stickin' to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68Cougar,

Good Info.. I was looking to get a remote filter locator. My only question is Which one is this?

I'm guessing that its the one we find on ebay...am I correct?

Again sorry you had to be the "tester " in this one I hope no damage was done.

I'm pretty sure that he is referring to this kit that ss_scuba is selling.

As I mentioned before, when there was talk of making these kits, you can buy both the filter mount and block adapter from Permacool (through Summit), along with all of the necessary stainless braided lines/fittings through Summit for less. I'm running the Permacool pieces on my DOHC 90 XR7, along with stainless braided lines, and I haven't had any leaks or any other troubles with them.

-Rod

Wow, and I was actually just about to purchase this kit today! :eek:

Sorry to hear that you wasted your time and money on it, but thank you very much for taking the time to post your review!:)

Holy $$$

Holy crap that is expensive.

I agree with Rod, you could buy all the pieces you need from Summit for less than that and end up with a nicer looking setup using braided line. If you haven't ever used braided line its fairly easy.

Chris

racecougar said:
As I mentioned before, when there was talk of making these kits, you can buy both the filter mount and block adapter from Permacool (through Summit), along with all of the necessary stainless braided lines/fittings through Summit for less. I'm running the Permacool pieces on my DOHC 90 XR7, along with stainless braided lines, and I haven't had any leaks or any other troubles with them.

-Rod

It works, uses much better attachment hardware, and it fits well. :cool:

Here is a pic of the permacool filter mount:

oil%20filter%20relocation.jpg

It's much stronger than the mount that 68COUGAR described.

-Rod

racecougar:::::: Thats a relly sweeet set-up. I am thinking about buying one of the perma-cool oil filter re-locating kit, since I hate it when the oil drips all over when I am doing an oil change. Do you have any more pictures that you'd like to share.
Thanks...
:)

Oil Filter Relocation

That setup is (obviously) different than the one I bought.

Now how are we going to route the oil lines to a "Real Oil Cooler", ie: Out in the airflow where it will make a difference?

68COUGAR

Supercoupe007, here are a few more pictures of my setup. The engine adapter will be different for a SC, as this setup is on my DOHC 90 XR7, but you get the idea.

remote%20oil%20filter%202.jpg

line%20lock%202.jpg

Also, there is a tech article over at tccoa with the Permacool part numbers for the engine adapter and the oil filter mount.

68COUGAR, the oil filter mount that I'm running has four ports (2 in / 2 out). I have 2 of the ports plugged (1 in / 1 out), but those ports could easily be used to hook up an oil cooler (that is why they are there).

-Rod

Rod,
For the relocate kit (not the Summit one) did you notice if the nipple is on the piece with the o-ring groove in it or is it on the "solid" relocating piece? I think my nipple is on the wrong piece (grooved piece). It shouldn't be on this piece b/c it is supposed to simulate an oil filter and thus wouldn't have a nipple.

pablon2, I'm not sure that I know what you're talking about.

The only remote oil filter parts that I've purchased are the Permacool ones that I posted pics of. I didn't buy the "kit" that 68COUGAR started this thread about.

-Rod

racecougar said:
pablon2, I'm not sure that I know what you're talking about.

The only remote oil filter parts that I've purchased are the Permacool ones that I posted pics of. I didn't buy the "kit" that 68COUGAR started this thread about.

-Rod

My mistake. I meant to address it to 68cougar. You both have cougar in your handles and I wasn't paying attention. :eek:

Also, as I've said over and over, I wouldn't run rubber hoses on a remote oil filter setup. You can buy all of the parts (including both adapters, braided lines, fittings, etc) through Summit to do it the right way with braided stainless lines for less than $100. Why does everyone need a "kit" put together for them? :rolleyes: Just look up the parts that you'll need and order them, it's pretty simple.

-Rod

Moderated Thread

Yes, i have made some changes and deletions in this thread. We have forums for new product development and for selling products, where everyone can participate. This is not the forum for either of those activities.

gldiii said:
Yes, i have made some changes and deletions in this thread. We have forums for new product development and for selling products, where everyone can participate. This is not the forum for either of those activities.

Kinda quick on the delete button
If the thread doesnt fit your guide lines you could have posted a warning. Doesnt seem right to just blow Certain peoples replies out just because they have a solution to the problem the thread started out by addressing

Ken

Ken, I have sent an email to the parties involved and invited them to participate in the proper forum. This thread was originally just a review of a vendor's product.

Hello, racecougar and other members.

Great review. I was trying to assist! NOT sell anyone a kit.

We were simply trying to help everyone. I posted the part numbers and pricing to be helpful nothing else.

Thanks for taking your time racecougar and explaining this to us all. I appreciate and will follow your advice thanks. It is admirable to see how much effort you put into this post to help us all these were my Intentions as well I was not trying to convince anyone by placing the spec of the perma relocator I just copied it from a catalouge we have. Whatever...

The pictures were great and text were real helpful to me...I have the part numbers if it will help you compare the two relocators. I also took the time to call our rep. on this and he was very helpful. Here are the part numbers for the perma relocator. They have two diffrent ones. They did not come with all the goodies you added such as the braided hose, connectors etc. These are the part numbers that we found. 10695 is the sigle,10795 this is the dual. Hope this helps. I have nothing else to add. Exept Thank you Ken!!!

George thanks for your explanation for the reason you deleted our post. I think I undertand:confused: ! I Got to run and take care of other matters at hand. If we can assist please do not hesitate to ask! :)
Stay Safe!
Victor.....

Okay, I was just told about this thread. First of all, I must say that I was not selling these as there was not enough interest in order for me to do a group buy. I will stand behind both the machining and engineering of this product and Travis. I have purchased, and will be using one on my tbird when it goes back together in the next couple weeks.

68Cougar...:

What does the adapters beginning as a piece of billet aluminum have to do anything?

Your comment on the outside lip of the engine part of the kit is pretty pathetic. If this is less than acceptable, then I would like to know what is better...1/4"...1/2"? If your oil pressure ever gets high enough to blow out the gasket that is held in there by .104" then you've got problems other than the filter kit.

You mention that the ad for the kit says that the barbs don't need hose clamps. The brass fittings DO NOT require them. It's that reason that the fittings were put so close together. BTW, hose clamps will fit in there if you want.

Teflon tape...tell me one kit that comes pre-assembled with teflon tape already?

As for your comments on the mounting pad for the filter side of the kit...well you can keep your review as you wish. I have seen the bolts that are included in the kit hold as much as 75lbs with no sign of stress. The kit is sold to mount wherever you want...if you have to make a bracket to make it work, then so be it. This is not a kit that will mount a specific filter in a specific place, it's a universal kit that happened to fit our style of filter and would work well. If you want a 4"x4" plate, make it yourself.

I assume that by you posting your comments here, you have not tried to contact Travis to tell him how you feel. I know for a fact that you have not done so. Not only is this under handed, but unfair to Travis and the rest of the people on this board by bad mouthing something you think you could have made better.

To anyone who has bought one of these kits, or is planning on it:

I did forward this thread to Travis for his review. He wants people to know that he will be making necessary changes and he has agreed to replace kits bought by any members with updated ones as soon as they are available. he also thanks anyone for their honest reviews. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Travis at cp1_123@hotmail.com.

Back