Airbag Diasablement

Scour_king

As My 95 gets older and harder to find parts for repair, I would like to know how to permantly disable the airbags. I am a grown up and know how to wear a seatbelt, If I choose.

90coug said:
Stab them with a blade of some sort, that'll keep it from inflating on accident.

The airbags are made of a pretty strong material - they are not that easy to just stab, and then you'll have a hole in your plastic cover. If they do go off, which they may in a collision, they still have an explosive element behind the bag which will still ignite. Even if it doesnt fully inflate the bag, it will probably still blow out of the hole that you just created or partially inflate still breaking the cover open.

If you want to disable your airbags, you'll need to take off your battery for a while. Then you can unplug the Yellow wires that goto the airbags. Your car will have an airbag light that flashes on the dash, and sometimes it may Beep a few times when you put your key in the ignition. You can unplug the module .. I think its a blue box and it wont beep, but it may still flash on your dash.

- Dan

What DDubb says is how to do it. The driver's side is easy. All you have to do is unbolt the bag from the steering wheel and everything is behind there. I taped the wires to something so they don't rattle around. The passenger side bag is pretty hard to get to. If you take the glove box out you can just snake your arm up there to disconnect it. The module is over on the passenger side. Mine kept beeping so I disconnected it. I removed the bulb from the dash so the light didn't constantly blink at me.

Back