is my SC stock?

Superloop

HI!

Ok, my car looks stock to me, but since I got it like 2 years ago, I can feel the power it delivers, ALOT!
just yesterday I blew a 1997 camaro rs and 1995 mustang gt off the road damn bad!

some people have told me that maybe the person that had it before, rebuilt the engine and bore it out or something, everything looks stock outside, you guys think it has been redone inside?

Oh yeah, I tested it to see how fast it was, and I got it up to 151.3 mph. are these cars that fast, stock?
it's an 89 , 5 speed, black......... rpms were around 4500 at that speed, I think, I didn't get a good glance at it, I was damn scared going that fast, so I didn't take my eyes off the road.
Can anybody tell if this is stock?

These cars do top out around 150 mph's as most of them were ungoverned. The Camaro RS is not the top package, and might have the 6 cylinder engine. If this is the case, you would easily beat it. This car was also capable of beating a stock 5.0 Liter Mustang, and if the one you raced had a bad driver, the difference could be significant. Check the exhaust for upgrades, look at the intake hoses, the air filter, and anything that looks shiny and new as if out of place under the hood. Many upgrades are possible, you have to know the SC to tell w/ most of them however. The easiest way to tell would be timing it 0 to 60 with a stop watch. Accounting for driving differences, it should be within a second of actual time. Switch drivers and timers to increase accuracy. Stock time should read between 7 & 8 seconds, these cars were mid 7s stock 0-60, 15.5 quarter mile.

How Fast?

My '90 Speedo only goes to 120mph. Did you
have a GPS onboard?? :confused:

I've buried the speedometer and it was still
accelerating seems to hold boost at those
speeds too with the higer RPM's.

Just wonderin. :D
Laytas.

I think 5 speed cars were usually good for about 143 to 146 mph stock. So if you can get 151.3 out of yours (I'm assuming you've calculated it with ratios and tire diameter to come up with that) it's probably been rubbed on a bit.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I looked under the car, it doesn't have cat converters.

I tried 0 to 60, but the car just seats there burning rubber in 1st and 2nd.
Where do I look for a superchip?

hey fast ed, actually if i remember right ( i coudl be wrong, dont think im callin you out or anythign) that the auto's top out at 149 but the 5speeds gears run out at around 176. but because of drag and wind resistance it takes a bit of more power than stock to get a 5speed up to 170ish. lol

149's?

Does the stock SC auto get up to the 140's? I have a 92' SC all stock with an auto and when I get around 100 that damn light and sound comes on saying I need to upshit. Obviously I can't cause I'm alredy in 4th. Then around 120 it redlines and Im too much of a chicked to keep going. How does it do 140?

that sounds wierd in my auto at 110-115 the tach is readin 3600 rpm 4th gear, so i say 140+ will be good in it. Is your tach off???

Honeslt I don't know. I bought it in July. How would I tell. Also the seller seemed like an idiot and did a few stupid things to the car I fixed. (paint mainly) So I thought he also might have done something with the computer cause when I'm sitting in drive with the brake on, the car shakes really bad. Might he have screwed with the comoputer? Also I got a bad O2 sensor I havent replaced yet. Might that have something to do with it to?

Also on anther note, what are some good mods you can make to a stock engine for relitivly no money?

free easy mods, the only one i can think of is to remove your air silencer. you should do some exhuast work though, mainly just replacing the resognator with a better one. it is so restrictive, it is mainly what causes our headgaskets to blow.

and that upshift light, i dont know why its an upshift light at all. all that light does is tells automatic owners that they are goin too fast. if you go that fast too much then i think it will burn out your OD band, it did to our automatic.

It also comes on with 5 speeds, mine used to come on in 4th I ran out of speedo in 3rd gear (120) then redlined fourth and half way through 4th the light comes on to shift gears or get off the gas. SO then I just shift into fifth. I believe the light is there to tell you that the engine is under to much stress and that damage will occur if you keep doing what you are doing, hence the up shift lowers RPM and boost pressure which relieves the engine of some stress. You have to remember when the charger is running 15psi that you are putting a lot of heat into the engine and turning at 4500 to 5000 RPMS for a long duration will pretty much turn the oil into nothing. That is why the light comes on it also seems to be in direct relation with around 140 MPH. There was a previous article about this somewhere. The light should also be accompanied by a 20kilohertz buzz.

That light is infact not an upshift indicator. You should rarely see it illuminate, if at all. It is indicating that the engine is operating at too high of an RPM for too long, and it will cut fuel & spark shortly.

As for mods, I suggest an exhaust upgrade as your first major modification. A cat back can add a lot, and will not only increase effectiveness of future mods but it will help prevent headgasket failure, as Nervekiller said.

Isn't that what I just said??? "the light comes on to shift gears or get off the gas. the light is there to tell you that the engine is under to much stress and that damage will occur if you keep doing what you are doing, hence the up shift lowers RPM and boost pressure which relieves the engine of some stress"

what about the scp exhaust, im thinking about printing it out and having a shop do it for me, does anyone else run this setup if how it?
thanks

I had it except i didn't use mufflers and it sounded perfect. I never had one complaint. Everyone really liked the sound of it. Unless you are on the west coast you are goign to have a hard time finding a shop that can mandrel bend the 3 inch pipe. You would have to order pre bent pipe from summit and have them cut and welded to make the bends you need.

There was this guy out in Wichita Falls I think, or maybe El Paso who had a Morana 4.2 stroker that made some ongodly amounts of torque while looking totally stock. I think the car was silver. Don't know if he still has it, that was almost 3 years ago. If this were the car, that would explain the inability to get traction. I think I remember him saying that the boost was low due to the added displacement, like under 10 psi.

RS Camaro's are slow, so that doesn't mean anything. A 5.0 on the other hand, should at least be some tough competition.

First thanks for the exhaust tip. Next I agree with what the light means, but should it come on at 100mph??? Mine does. I don't have any clue why.

Back