PDA

View Full Version : is my SC stock?

Superloop
07-31-2002, 12:27 AM
HI!

Ok, my car looks stock to me, but since I got it like 2 years ago, I can feel the power it delivers, ALOT!
just yesterday I blew a 1997 camaro rs and 1995 mustang gt off the road damn bad!

some people have told me that maybe the person that had it before, rebuilt the engine and bore it out or something, everything looks stock outside, you guys think it has been redone inside?

Oh yeah, I tested it to see how fast it was, and I got it up to 151.3 mph. are these cars that fast, stock?
it's an 89 , 5 speed, black......... rpms were around 4500 at that speed, I think, I didn't get a good glance at it, I was damn scared going that fast, so I didn't take my eyes off the road.
Can anybody tell if this is stock?

tbirdsc357
07-31-2002, 03:34 AM
Or just put it on a dyno....

Digitalchaos
07-31-2002, 04:06 AM
These cars do top out around 150 mph's as most of them were ungoverned. The Camaro RS is not the top package, and might have the 6 cylinder engine. If this is the case, you would easily beat it. This car was also capable of beating a stock 5.0 Liter Mustang, and if the one you raced had a bad driver, the difference could be significant. Check the exhaust for upgrades, look at the intake hoses, the air filter, and anything that looks shiny and new as if out of place under the hood. Many upgrades are possible, you have to know the SC to tell w/ most of them however. The easiest way to tell would be timing it 0 to 60 with a stop watch. Accounting for driving differences, it should be within a second of actual time. Switch drivers and timers to increase accuracy. Stock time should read between 7 & 8 seconds, these cars were mid 7s stock 0-60, 15.5 quarter mile.

SCfalcon
07-31-2002, 03:13 PM
My '90 Speedo only goes to 120mph. Did you
have a GPS onboard?? :confused:

I've buried the speedometer and it was still
accelerating seems to hold boost at those
speeds too with the higer RPM's.

Just wonderin. :D
Laytas.

fast Ed
07-31-2002, 03:58 PM
I think 5 speed cars were usually good for about 143 to 146 mph stock. So if you can get 151.3 out of yours (I'm assuming you've calculated it with ratios and tire diameter to come up with that) it's probably been rubbed on a bit.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Superloop
07-31-2002, 08:40 PM
I looked under the car, it doesn't have cat converters.

I tried 0 to 60, but the car just seats there burning rubber in 1st and 2nd.
Where do I look for a superchip?

nervekiler
03-29-2003, 02:31 PM
hey fast ed, actually if i remember right ( i coudl be wrong, dont think im callin you out or anythign) that the auto's top out at 149 but the 5speeds gears run out at around 176. but because of drag and wind resistance it takes a bit of more power than stock to get a 5speed up to 170ish. lol

z9_87
03-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Does the stock SC auto get up to the 140's? I have a 92' SC all stock with an auto and when I get around 100 that damn light and sound comes on saying I need to up~~~~. Obviously I can't cause I'm alredy in 4th. Then around 120 it redlines and Im too much of a chicked to keep going. How does it do 140?

silversc90
03-29-2003, 03:19 PM
that sounds wierd in my auto at 110-115 the tach is readin 3600 rpm 4th gear, so i say 140+ will be good in it. Is your tach off???

z9_87
03-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Honeslt I don't know. I bought it in July. How would I tell. Also the seller seemed like an idiot and did a few stupid things to the car I fixed. (paint mainly) So I thought he also might have done something with the computer cause when I'm sitting in drive with the brake on, the car shakes really bad. Might he have screwed with the comoputer? Also I got a bad O2 sensor I havent replaced yet. Might that have something to do with it to?

Also on anther note, what are some good mods you can make to a stock engine for relitivly no money?

nervekiler
03-29-2003, 07:58 PM
free easy mods, the only one i can think of is to remove your air silencer. you should do some exhuast work though, mainly just replacing the resognator with a better one. it is so restrictive, it is mainly what causes our headgaskets to blow.

and that upshift light, i dont know why its an upshift light at all. all that light does is tells automatic owners that they are goin too fast. if you go that fast too much then i think it will burn out your OD band, it did to our automatic.

1BADSC
03-29-2003, 08:47 PM
It also comes on with 5 speeds, mine used to come on in 4th I ran out of speedo in 3rd gear (120) then redlined fourth and half way through 4th the light comes on to shift gears or get off the gas. SO then I just shift into fifth. I believe the light is there to tell you that the engine is under to much stress and that damage will occur if you keep doing what you are doing, hence the up shift lowers RPM and boost pressure which relieves the engine of some stress. You have to remember when the charger is running 15psi that you are putting a lot of heat into the engine and turning at 4500 to 5000 RPMS for a long duration will pretty much turn the oil into nothing. That is why the light comes on it also seems to be in direct relation with around 140 MPH. There was a previous article about this somewhere. The light should also be accompanied by a 20kilohertz buzz.

Digitalchaos
03-29-2003, 08:48 PM
That light is infact not an upshift indicator. You should rarely see it illuminate, if at all. It is indicating that the engine is operating at too high of an RPM for too long, and it will cut fuel & spark shortly.

As for mods, I suggest an exhaust upgrade as your first major modification. A cat back can add a lot, and will not only increase effectiveness of future mods but it will help prevent headgasket failure, as Nervekiller said.

1BADSC
03-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Isn't that what I just said??? "the light comes on to shift gears or get off the gas. the light is there to tell you that the engine is under to much stress and that damage will occur if you keep doing what you are doing, hence the up shift lowers RPM and boost pressure which relieves the engine of some stress"

PROJECTMAYHEM21
03-29-2003, 09:35 PM
what about the scp exhaust, im thinking about printing it out and having a shop do it for me, does anyone else run this setup if how it?
thanks

1BADSC
03-29-2003, 09:40 PM
I had it except i didn't use mufflers and it sounded perfect. I never had one complaint. Everyone really liked the sound of it. Unless you are on the west coast you are goign to have a hard time finding a shop that can mandrel bend the 3 inch pipe. You would have to order pre bent pipe from summit and have them cut and welded to make the bends you need.

Digitalchaos
03-29-2003, 10:21 PM
1BADSC, yes it was.. as I clicked reply before your post appeared in the thread. Thats why they are 1 minute apart.

XR7 Dave
03-29-2003, 10:25 PM
There was this guy out in Wichita Falls I think, or maybe El Paso who had a Morana 4.2 stroker that made some ongodly amounts of torque while looking totally stock. I think the car was silver. Don't know if he still has it, that was almost 3 years ago. If this were the car, that would explain the inability to get traction. I think I remember him saying that the boost was low due to the added displacement, like under 10 psi.

RS Camaro's are slow, so that doesn't mean anything. A 5.0 on the other hand, should at least be some tough competition.

z9_87
03-29-2003, 10:43 PM
First thanks for the exhaust tip. Next I agree with what the light means, but should it come on at 100mph??? Mine does. I don't have any clue why.

Digitalchaos
03-29-2003, 10:50 PM
It depends, what RPM are you running @ that speed? If you've an auto, perhaps overdrive is not engauging..

z9_87
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM
about 4000rpm's. I think this is pretty high for 100 and this car. If OD is not engauging, why not, and what are some other things that it might be doing wrong if OD is not engauging?

cinstral
03-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by z9_87
about 4000rpm's. I think this is pretty high for 100 and this car. If OD is not engauging, why not, and what are some other things that it might be doing wrong if OD is not engauging?

i don't know about 4000rpms and 100mph but, OD will not engage while you are at WOT. (Wide Open Throttle)

rivlee
03-30-2003, 11:19 AM
He said the Cat's are gone, and I'll bet the rest of the exhaust isn't stock either. If the air filter element is hi-flo, he's looking at a 25hp gain over stock. 150mph easy! :p

Lee

GREATWHITE666
03-30-2003, 04:57 PM
i was going 110mph a few weeks ago and never saw my upshift light.....
-Damon

Digitalchaos
03-30-2003, 05:23 PM
z9_87, how far down is the accelerator @ 100mphs & 4000rpm?

It shouldn't be floored..

Select drive, not overdrive, manually. Then at a high speed, probably 65+ is fine, select overdrive. It should engauge shortly thereafter. If this does not seem to happen after several attempts (dont WOT while doing this) its possible you may have a bad overdrive band.

stangbanger67
03-30-2003, 07:27 PM
did it occur to anyone that maybe this things had a gear swap done on it? probably why your buzzer is going off so early

Digitalchaos
03-30-2003, 08:28 PM
First things first. It is more logical to ask the questions that can be checked out easiest.. thus eliminating possibilities.

If he just got the car and doesn't know about any mods, its easy to see if the trans doesn't shift out of third.

iwannanSC
03-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Superloop,

Another cheap mod is to get a K&N air filter. I think they are around $50 new, but you can probably get one here from someone on SCCoA for less. They give you a few HP and have million mile warranties, just make sure you check it every once in a while and keep it oiled.

nervekiler
03-30-2003, 11:43 PM
but you dont want to do anythig to the induction side of the engine until you get your exhuast taken care of, or you might as well kiss your headgaskets good-bye.

JSC
03-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by z9_87
First thanks for the exhaust tip. Next I agree with what the light means, but should it come on at 100mph??? Mine does. I don't have any clue why.

Mine does the same,but hopefully yours is coming on when you are in OD, when i'm getting on my car at that speed it will flash that upshift light and obnoxious tone but if you let up your car will downshift from OD. You can still get your car 100+,you just gotta do it slow and steady after the 105 mark.

J57ltr
03-30-2003, 11:59 PM
151.3? Please explain how you came to this #.

Jeff

Superloop
03-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Ok! A guy at the airport has a speed reader, looks like a pistol but bigger. Him and some other people were testing cars to the top speed. He called me and asked if I wanted mine tested so I went. I don't know if that thing is correct . I only tried it once I was scared to do it again, he offered to drive it for me but I DON"T WANT ANIBODY DRIVING MY CAR!!! lol

z9_87
03-31-2003, 06:13 PM
ok whenever I have gone that fast it was at wide open throttle. First I rarley go that fast but what I'm getting is that you have to get to that speed gradualy and not 0-100 right? Or 0-65 or 70 and then let off a little for it to go into OD right?

Tazer999
03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Well I know for a fact that my 90 sc aod can go 142mph. Don't ask how I know though.. A few TBU guys know, lol

David Neibert
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Next I agree with what the light means, but should it come on at 100mph??? Mine does.

Yes...if you are going WOT in 3rd at around 4500-5000 rpms. Even with 3.73 gears mine will go past 120 mph in 3rd too.

If you stand on it at less than 75 mph it will downshift into 3rd and won't be long until the upshift light chiming comes on. Unless you have a trans-go shift kit it won't upshift into OD at Wide Open Throttle. Why, because the weak OD band in the AOD transmission can't take it.

You must get the car going faster before giving it full throttle. Any type of drag or street race must end in 3rd gear.

David

Night-Ryder
03-31-2003, 11:51 PM
I remember taking mine up to about 220KM/hr and the shift light didnt come on at all in 5thgear (5spd) around 3900 RPM-4100RPM