How to fix flakey bumpers

TBirdLady

Hi guys remember me? Just got my car out of winter storage and now its time to starting fixing up the little stuff that bugs me....

I've seen this on other SCs and fords -- the classic problem of the black paint flaking on the rubber moulding on the bumper and the yellow plastic showing through.

The question is -- what's the best way to fix this/cover it up so it looks decent again? I've done a search on the forums and seen a suggest to use SEM Aerosol bumper paint but I have visions of overspray ...

Any others found solutions that work?

This is an easy one. Use blue masking tape and tape around all of your black molding using newspaper to pevent overspray on paint. Go to any Autoparts store and get black bumper paint. Sand these areas, clean and spray. This stuff works great and will make your car look 100 times better

If you find that bumper paint is hard to come by in your area, use Krylon Semi-Flat Black. That's what I've always used in the past, and it looks great, and closely duplicates the original finish.

Prep and masking makes the job, though. I use scotchbrite to feather out the chipped areas, wipe clean with degreaser, and mask with the above mentioned blue masking tape. Shoot the color in several light coats, and you'll be amazed with the results. Good luck.

JD

Okay sounds like something I can manage -- what do I use to sand it -- like regular sandpaper or is there something special I should be using?

Thanks for advice!

I'd say sand it with 180 grit before you paint it. Then after you put a couple of coats on it, lightly sand it with 600 grit, then spray some clear coat over it, a few coats. Finally lightly sand it with 1200 to 1500 grit.

Did it!

Thanks for all the valuable advice -- I finally got it done this weekend. Preparation work definitely paid off -- the masking off and sanding and cleaning. It ended up looking awesome!

I only did the rear rubber bumper molding (from rear wheel well and around the back to the other rear wheel well), but it looks so good I think I might do the two short little front pieces too. They are not chipping, just faded so they're not as black as the rest. I guess the side panels must have been replaced at some point because they're as black as the section I just repainted.

Anyway -- thanks again -- you guys are awesome!

what about like primer?

mines is doing this on the front bumper, however the front bumper isnt really a factory color, the car was painted a deep purple, last owner...why he changed from black... anyways i found a store with engine spray paint, ame color will this same procedure work with mines? im so ready to get that ugo bra off my car. so ready.

or maybe i could go chameleon flames coming from the front bumper to the fenders and ever doors. would regular chameleon krylon work? or in one rainy season would i look like that guy with the neon down the block

Back