Drop Pipes or Straight Pipes? Need Opinions, and pics

SK_BlownThunder

I have finally decided on an exhaust system for my white 1990 SC. I will be totally removing the cats and installing custom downtubes off the stock manifolds. Then we'll be routing dual 2.25" tubes into a Flo Pro reversible muffler with a single 3" outlet, then for now, just hooking it all up to the stock tube that goes around the gas tank for the time being. Once I figure out what to do for the rear part of the system, then all that will be coming out too, so don't worry. What I need to know is...

I cannot decide whether to try and go with straight pipes w/stainless steel 2.5" (or 3", cannot decide) tips coming out the back; or go with curved tips like the stock mufflers have. The straight tips would probably come out about an inch past the valence but I am just worried about loosing too much clearance on the back end. My other option is to hook the tips down inside the bumper like the stock mufflers do and just have stainless steel tips come down past the bottom of the stock valence just enough so they can be seen.

Just cannot decide. I like the straight pipe look on most cars but I am having second thoughts with the type of rear valence the SC has. I think I will have to cut out a little bit but I am scared I really make something look bad if I do that. Let me know what you all think and I would really appreciate it if you can post some pics so I can get an idea. Remember, I find the oxford white color does add a difference in most mods on these cars, so just keep that in mind. I just don't know, ahhhh!:eek:

My email is geiger.brett@gmail.com if you have some larger pics you want to send me. I'l be lookin forward to it. Thanks.

Straight Pipes???????????

geigerb said:
I will be totally removing the cats and installing custom downtubes off the stock manifolds. Then we'll be routing dual 2.25" tubes into a Flo Pro reversible muffler with a single 3" outlet, I cannot decide whether to try and go with straight pipes w/stainless steel 2.5" (or 3", cannot decide) tips coming out the back; or go with curved tips like the stock mufflers have.
Are you talking about Straight Pipes; as in No Cats, No Resonator, & No Muffler?

OR

Are you only talking about the style of the tail pipe extensions?

68COUGAR

Go to the top of the page to search and type in tips. It will bring up a lot of diffrent threads about tips and what others have done

Ken

Just straight pipes out the back, theres no way I would do straight pipes off a V6, especially with the clearance issues on these cars.

But thanks for the reply.

No Room for an Exhaust Pipe

geigerb said:
theres no way I would do straight pipes off a V6, especially with the clearance issues on these cars.
Are you saying that there is not enough room to run an exhaust pipe from the engine to the back of the car? :confused:

68COUGAR

I have a steep driveway, and I often scrape the tips of my stock exhaust. When I redo it, I think I will keep the stealthy tips behind the bumper cover. But that's just me.

68 COUGAR,

Sorry for not clarifying, but I was just getting at the style of the tips coming under the rear valence. Without cutting any of the valence out, I think the clearance would be too tight, especially for these Saskatchewan roads.

And yes, I do share the same grief as Steve with a steep driveway. I have a drop near the end where it goes out on the street where every single part of my undercarriage tends to drag for an inch or so, but nothing too major yet. Its getting fixed this spring after the ground thaws.

Derek, I like your tips but unfortunately I want to leave cosmetics to a minimum if possible. With the 90 valence, I think it would need a bit of work for what I originally planned. I think I'll go with some stainless steel tips that just hook at a 45 angle and come down about an inch or so past the bottom of the valence just so they can be seen.

Just FYI, I was actually told that by running a straight pipe with no muffler or resonator in somewhere could possibly still build up more back pressure than with a muffler installed. I guess the exhaust gases can end up circling to a point where they start "bouncing" back at eachother and create a backwards effect to the normal flow, creating backflow. I looked into it further and found this is a possiblilty in certain conditions like humidity and ambient temperature, altitude, and so on. I would do a true dual if I could afford but I think a standard system like the SCP will do fit for what I like. Thanks to all for the info. I appreciate it.

If you didnt get it already I would go with a magnaflow resonator. As for tips definately angles downward and toward the rear corner of each sides bumper. This will reduce noice then just having them point straight down. I seriously dont think you will hav emore backpressure with no mufflers but I do trhink it would be WAY to loud..And not in a nice way with no cats and an aftermarket resonator

Minus Cats, Minus Resonator

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I seriously dont think you will hav emore backpressure with no mufflers but I do trhink it would be WAY to loud..And not in a nice way with no cats and an aftermarket resonator
Yep, I totally Agree!!!!! I have headers, No cats, No resonator, 3.5" center, Turbo Muffs, with all else being 2/5" pipe. It gets REAL RICEY when I stomp on it. Will be even worse with my blower & intake upgrade. At least I won't be blowing HG's by having to much back pressure!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Back