yet ANOTHER exhaust post! Dont be mad guys! (LONG) I know about the search function

Bacondoggy

Ok - here goes:
I am looking to get my exhaust fixed. It is way too loud and would probablly get pulled over just for driving it around (no cats or resonator, plus larger headers).
First of all, I live in PA so anyone close to here who can do custom exhaustwork let me know!

But, I took it to meineke, and they want 500-600 just to put a custom pipe from where the resonator usually is back, plus 2 mufflers. I think that this is a little pricey!

All I was looking for is a pipe probablly 3" (to go around the gas tank) and back out with 2 mufflers. Right now in place of my resonator is a Y pipe that goes to 3" but then it has a reducer that puts it back to 2 1/2" from the reducer back. It is REALLY rusted out (thanks flowmaster) so I wanted all new exhaust from there. Any options and thoughts would be greatly appriciated! I didn't want to spend $600 at a shop for ? quality work, when I am sure guys have gotten their exhaust done here (and better work) for less.

As far as pre-fab (dynomax, etc.) systems, I hear they aren't as good (steal being thinner). This guy at Meineke said he has been doing exhaust for 15+ years and Borla mufflers dont last for the price (I was thinking of getting a pair of the borla XS). I dont care anymore! I just want my car to sound decent for a reasonable price. If I got a resonator put back on the car, the Y pipe would have to be removed, and there would be much more custom work involved. is there any company who makes a 3" pipe for around the gas tank, and then either compatible system for that? Thanks for all your time!

Regards,

Mark Gleeson

I don't know any shops in the area, but I think that sounds like a great idea. I like the numbers you are thinking of too....if it was in my future (mod list) I would probably be interested, but gotta full plate you know.

I would definitely look into that though.

Micah

Muffler Man

Bacondoggy said:
I took it to meineke, and they want 500-600

All I was looking for is a pipe probablly 3" (to go around the gas tank) and back out with 2 mufflers. Right now in place of my resonator is a Y pipe that goes to 3" but then it has a reducer that puts it back to 2 1/2" from the reducer back.

As far as pre-fab (dynomax, etc.) systems, I hear they aren't as good (steal being thinner). This guy at Meineke said he has been doing exhaust for 15+ years and Borla mufflers dont last for the price (I was thinking of getting a pair of the borla XS). Mark Gleeson
Around the gas tank, must be an early model SC. If SCP still sells the Little Dawg, that's 3" & will go around the early tank.

I'll bet the Meineke guy had a resonator & mufflers that he would sell ya, Right? ;) ;)

Also ask any shop if their pipe size is ID or OD. I know that Midas uses NON-Industry standard, OD pipe. So Midas 3" pipe IS NOT 3" ID, it's 3" OD!!!!!!! Once you have Midas pipe on your car, Midas is the only pipe that you can ever use.

"Muffler Man" is a chain muffler shop. The local one said that they could do Any Size pipe, even custom cut & weld mandrel bent. If there is a Muffler Man in your area, you might talk to them.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

$600 is not that bad. I have a guy near me. He is really good, but his prices are not cheap.

I had my exhaust done 10 years ago and it cost me $500 for cat back including the rear mufflers.

Good Luck
Ken

out here i got $600 2.25inch off manifolds with my magnaflow cats (purchased elsewhere) into 3inch around the gas tank (no resonator) out to 2.25 flowmasters, sounds good for a 6banga :)

trife86 said:
out here i got $600 2.25inch off manifolds with my magnaflow cats (purchased elsewhere) into 3inch around the gas tank (no resonator) out to 2.25 flowmasters, sounds good for a 6banga :)

Wow, I paid $220 for all the pipe work on my 2.5-3-2.5 job. I supplied the cats, reso, and mufflers. I guess I got a great deal.

I was quoted $700 at one shop though, so I suggest keep calling around and around until you find something under $400 at least.

For right around $650, I had true dual 2.25 from the exhaust manifolds back done. That included 2 Magnaflow highflow cats, a Magnaflow dual in/out resonator, two Borla XS mufflers and tips. It all depends on where you go.
Look for the mufflers, resonator, and cats seperately. Then find a shop that will do the piping for a decent price.
If you go to any "chain" muffler joint, they are going to charge you more.

Good luck

It's all demand based. If a local shop is one of the few with custom exhaust tools and a pipe bender, they set the price. You may find someone out of town a ways that could save you a couple hundred.

Steel isn't cheap, so expect it to a be a little more these days then a few years ago. If you're going to invest big dollars into the exhaust you may want to consider stainless steel. It'll cost more, but it'll last.

"True Dual" Fantasy Land

adpsmp said:
I had true dual...... a Magnaflow dual in/out resonator
I hate to break this to you, but you Absolutely do NOT have a "true dual" system. Your common chamber resonator defeats your whole "true dual" fantasy. Put 2 resonators on it, & you'll have your magical "true dual" system.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
so if you had true dual the whole way, and you put a dual in/out resonator, it takes away the "true dual" experience? the only way I would assume you would say that is if it is not like an x-pipe or h-pipe - they are trual dual exhaust it just helps to even out the backpressure...

"True Dual" vs. plain dual exhaust

Bacondoggy said:
so if you had true dual the whole way, and you put a dual in/out resonator, it takes away the "true dual" experience? the only way I would assume you would say that is if it is not like an x-pipe or h-pipe - they are trual dual exhaust it just helps to even out the backpressure...
You are confusing Dual Exhaust with "True Dual" Exhaust. Yes, putting in an H-pipe, X-pipe, or common chamber resonator changes the system from the magical "True Dual" to a plain dual exhaust.

68COUGAR

My mistake....didn't think about it that way. I have a "dual" exhaust with a crossover type resonator....as oppose to a dual to single pipe back to dual.

Back