Gas pedal sticks when accelerating on 89 Bird

AlexPkring

When accelerating, the pedal does not come back to me unless I hit the pedal hard to the floor several times with my foot, it continues to accelerate. Please Help, its an 89 Tbird

Do you have floormats? Could it be catching on the floormat? I've had this happen in a few of my vehicles, T-Bird included.

Happened to me in a parking lot showing off.....

Took a brick wall to get her stopped......

But that is another story.....

YES, alcohol was involved.....

Check your linkages on the throttlebody. I would lubricate any moving parts on it. Take the air intake tube off, clean the throttle plates inside also, unless you've decided the floormat is the culprit:D

Same thing happened to me on the interstate, I was punching it to pass some cars to get to my exit and it took off like a mad animal I had to miss my exit b/c I couldn't get it to slow down fast enough. Took me a while to figure out it was my floor mats.

I guess that is why the floor mat has that tab there....

It bolts to the seat and keeps it from creeping up next to the gas pedal.....

It was a combination of both....

I had just cleaned out the SC for a night of fun on the town...

I didn't like that floor mat, anyway....

But I put it in and drove off.....:rolleyes:

I was passing a car on the freeway and the pedal stuck to the floor, but I was in a position and had time to figure out what was wrong and popped the pedal out with my foot....

Fast foward a few hours and few beers....OK......Quite a few beers.....:rolleyes:

I was pulling into the parking lot at a bar and saw some friends coming out and I thought that would be a good time to "show off".....

The gas pedal decided that it was good time to stick and off I went through the parking lot WOT in 1st gear.....

Needless to say, I paniced and hit the brakes with both feet.....

The car wasn't slowwing down, but at least it wasn't accelerating anymore....:rolleyes:

The end of the parking lot was coming up fast when I saw a parking space to my left......

It was either take out a bunch of cars at the end of the parking lot, or sacrafice mine.....

In an instant I turned left and smacked into the building which brought the car to an abrupt stop, but the tires kept spinning leaving an acrid cloud of tire smoke before I could figure out what happened and fixed the problem...

Back