cone filter inside engine compartment??

ddw350

im getting tired of dismantleing the front of my car everytime i need to clean this damn thing..cant i just cut the intake tube,move the maf closer to the throttle body then use another short piece of tube with the cone filter on it and keep it all in the engine compartment for easy access,it will be drawling cold air from the huge hole where it used to go through wont it..or will having the maf that close to the throttle body mess stuff up...just a thought,really i dont clean it much anyway,i would rather do it from up top instead of on my back!

Maybe...

If you put some sort of divider in there it would work okay. I remember reading in a mustang magazine once that the MAF right in front of the TB made a few extra ponies on the dyno... Maybe that is why GM puts the TB and MAF in one unit on their V6's. Just some food for thought.

Sure, just build a cold air box.

-Rod

Attachments

• intake box.JPG
    intake box.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
That is where mine is. I eventually plan to build a shield for it but for now it is working fine.

Attachments

• PA090071.jpg
    PA090071.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 174
Here is what I did........

and it is similar to what you want to do. I took the OEM tube that connects to the TB and cut it off about 3" from the end. This will maintain the slight downward angle of the tube toward the front. Went to MIDAS and got about a 2' piece of 3" exhaust pipe. Then got a 4" piece of 3" ID flex hose. Now put the cut OEM tube on the TB using the existing clamp. Take the exhaust pipe and put the piece of 3" ID flex hose on it and clamp it. Now put the MAF in the other end of the flex hose and clamp. Attach the K&N cone filter to the other end of the MAF. Now place the pipe, hose, MAF and K&N assembly where you want it and cut the exhaust pipe to length on the OEM hose end. Remove the MAF from the pipe and drill a hole in the exhaust pipe and insert the appropriate fitting for the tube that comes from the driver side valve cover. Reassemble pipe and MAF and insert into the OEM hose and clamp. I also removed the lower portion of the stock airfilter box.

Ed Springer

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Accel 36# injectors, Scorpian 1.73 Rockers, ARP Head Studs, 190 l/h fuel pump, Raised SC Top, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), MSD DIS-4 + Ignition Box, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Pro-Torque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, Optima Yellow Top Battery, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, COMMANDO Alarm and Remote Starter and Autometer A/F Ratio and Transmission Oil Temperature Gauges.

You can make one out of aluminum. I was going to make a few and sell them just for the time and money but there was no interest. Its not that expensive, only time. If you make one and want it polished. Polish the aluminum first and then clean it up when you are done. Its a lot easier.

The closes down on it and acts as a top for the divider. The only air it grabs from the engine bay is between the MAF and coolant bottle. ( Minimal)

Last edited:
I just hogged out the oval shaped hole in the fender so the whole filter fits through it. I cut the MAF wires, ran them through the holes in the framerail, and respliced them inside the fenderwell. My MAF is down in there with the filter. I made a plastic coverplate out of the lid to one of those plastic totes and ran the piping through it. When I need to clean the filter I just remove the 5 self tapping machine screws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i wasnt sure that if you moved the maf up a foot if that would screw up something...i have the zr intake now,it would be awesome if you didnt have to climb under the car all the time,i can utilize that pipe im sure..i will get a new airfilter too as mine is all rubbed up from vibrating against stuff underneath....thanks

Yeah...that's what I have. If you don't like ebay, you can also buy the Cold Air divider from MP (Charles Warner) or SCP (Bill Evanoff).

But I have to admit the ZR intake I used to have was never a problem. I just bought the biggest filter it came with and only messed with cleaning it one time in the two years I had it.

David

Back