upper ball joint

manny

i just replaced the upper control arm on the passenger's side. and it was a PITA. gonna do the driver's side soon as i hav time. it looks like an even bigger PITA. does some one have any advice on the best way to tackle this job? will removal of any components be required for the removal of the nut directly underneath the master cylinder?i have tried to get my 18mm Gearwrench on it but i cant stick my hand anywhere. thanks in advance for any tips.

thirdbird said:
how are the brakes working?
cuz itll be easy work with that master out of the way/.....
brakes are in good working order. newer pads and rotors all around.

I found that the only good way to do it, was to use a ratchet wrench, due to the limited clearance. Only problem was you can't accurately torque it - but I've had no problems with mine.

I just got a pair of Upper control arms for my wife's Tbird. The control arms came with 1 bolt and a nut. I was thinking using a Sawzall and cut the back bolt and replace with the new one that was included. :rolleyes:

Editing to manually add Sig
2003 Mustang Mach1
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1995 Mustang 3.8
; M90 Supercharger/10%OD pulley, 80mm Maf, 70mm TB, 42lb injectors, SC Heads, 255lph Walbro, Xcal2, AODE w/Jmod, 8.8 3.73 Tracloc, Tokico Stuts/Shocks, C springs.

Last edited:
The driver's side is not really too bad. You can get a ratcheting wrench on that nut under the master cylinder. You just won't be able to see what you are doing. I used an 18mm Craftsman ratcheting wrench. You might be able to get a ratchet on it too, but I didn't try.

You can get to it from under the car but it is a bitch as you can only turn it a small amount. Took about an hour all in all to do mine but I had a lift.

I put another wrench on my gear wrench. Had my dad lift up as I pulled it and it broke free. I did both sets of uppers in under two hours, but I am no slouch by any sence of the word. Just plan on busting your knuckles. Spray it up with some sort of lubricant. That will make it easy after the initial break.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
I put another wrench on my gear wrench. Had my dad lift up as I pulled it and it broke free. I did both sets of uppers in under two hours, but I am no slouch by any sence of the word. Just plan on busting your knuckles. Spray it up with some sort of lubricant. That will make it easy after the initial break.

Chris
i also used another wrench on my gear wrench and was able to remove the nut. when i did the drivers side i removed the A/C accumulator, and discarded it since my A/c is inop. guess now im gonna have the do the "A/C delete" modification...

Get a piece of pipe and slide it on there. You will not have much room to move, maybe two inches at most because of the engine on one side and the MC on the other. Put your meat behind it and PUSH. Just lube it up first.

Chris

See, I went at it the other way. I reached the wrench in from the side of the car (over the fender, under the wiring, etc.). I unplugged some of the wiring (ARC, etc.) to make it easier.

Back