Front Suspension Rebuild

Thrust89SC

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front suspension of the ol'bird. What started as replacing the shocks has grown into replacing all the bushings and ball joints. I bought the poly bushing kit, then I found the upper control arms, lower ball joints, and strut links at NAPA, which they had in stock at the local store.:)

Today, I've got the spindles off, but cannot see how to get the ABS speed sensors out. I removed the Torx head screw and the metal bracket, but cannot see how the sensor comes out of the spindle. Ford manual doesn't say more than that, and I don't want to damage them. Anybody do this before?

i'm doing the same repair on my bird this weekend.have you tryed spraying some penetrating oil on the sensor?rust is probably holding it in the bore.good luck.

Spray it with wd-40 or anything similar. Then find a socket that just fits on it and lightly tap the sensor out. I had one come out very easy and one that I destroyed removing it. So, good luck and be liberal with what ever you spray on them.
Mike

Hope you got the right bushings for your rebuild. Not a big fan of poly and you have to know what you are buying to get the right Lower Control Arms with the SC Inner Pivot Bushings.

Not to hi-jack this thread but Duffy, how do you like the tokico springs and shocks? Is the ride floaty or did you have any problems with alignment?
Mike

I have had no problems with the shocks or with alignment. The ride was actually too choppy for me but now is much better since I moved from 245/45/17's to 255/50/17's. Still have not solved the wear on the inner front edges of the front tires but I can't say for sure if this is a function of the lowering springs alone or an combined effect of that and the wider wheels and tires. Tokico springs are linear rate as opposed to the Eibach's and OEM progressive rate.

I do believe there is a chance of some of the "floating" folks experience due to tightening upper and lower control arm pivot bolts without the car being at curb height and the suspension loaded. The Upper and Lower Inner Bushings are a bonded type which will never normalize on their own. Bonded to the outer can and inner tube of the bushings.

This is something to keep in mind when having and alignment done as well. Only tighten the bolts when the suspension is loaded.

Thanks for the help guys. Went away this weekend and didn't get back till now. I'll try the suggestions.

As far as the bushings are concerned, I got the set from SCPerformance. Problems here?

Last edited:
The SCP bushing are good stuff I used them and my front end is great. I also used the tokico shocks with ST lowering springs. I am happy with them. Some didn't like them ,but I think that has to do with other problems in their front end. I went all out when I did my front end. All new bushings,shocks,springs,4 control arms, and strut mounts.
Alan

I have the SCP bushings on mine and theyre great. had to drive it a while then retighten them to snug them up and now they seem to be ok.. Next is the front shocks... 252k miles has killed them :p

Its still has way too much camber.. not sure whats worn out but just the bushings make a world of difference on a car with 252k miles

Last edited:
Back