Motor Swap???

koopa169

I am still in the middle of my rebuild process on my 35th (Going very very slow due to getting ready for a baby). A friend of mine is going to be junking a block and tranny from a 97 mustang 3.8. So i can get it dirt cheap just need to get it out of his way. Which is very good if it will work save time and money so i can get the car temporarly done till i can reabuild the stock SC motor with new rods and forged pistons. The motor runs great and has just under 70,000 miles on it. My qustion is can i use the motor as a replacement for the stock 90 3.8. I know that i have to use the SC intake i need to know if the mustang heads block and rotating assy. will work, or just the block and rotating, or none of it. I dont have a problem getting a cam planning on that anyhow. Both balencers that i have are shot so im going to have to get a bhj unless the mustang one will work. I want to use the sc heads and intake and just use the mustang pistons rods crank and block. Also i think that both trannys that i have need rebuilt so if the mustang tranny will work too double bonus. Any thoughts comments or suggestions would be great. I need to get the car out of my father in laws garage soon he is ready to start other projects, so if this is an option to get the car mooving again that takes alot of stress off of me.

Id double check that info. I know the 89-95 SC blocks are different than the 3.8l non-sc blocks for the same years. I belive that the journal on the crank are purposely different so that you cant put a na 3.8 rotaing assembly in a Sc block. I know that for a fact, but I dont know about the 96+ blocks. Unless you are getting the mustang block for free I dont think I'd take simce sc blocks are realitivly cheap and plentiful.

Rick

im more looking to put the 97 motor in the car and use the top end of the sc because i dont have the funds right now to rebuild the sc motor (it will be done as i get the cash). i have read some posts and know that im not going to do the tranny. just looking for a cheap easy and temporary way to get the car going again. i havent seen any running motors going cheap as they are all in cars that arent going cheap.

Back