Under drives

ThunderDave

I just got my under drive pullies, finally.:rolleyes: Will the stock size belt be long enough to use with them or will I need a longer one? Also, how much horse power incease will I get?

Thanks!

I have UD's on the 89 and 94 and I only used the crank and wp pulleys...didnt install the alt in either of them. NOw, you can still use the stock belt but the clearance between belts in the area where the main tensioner and the wp pulley get close is MINIMAL. HOwever, i read and people dont have problems with this and so far neither have I.

007_SuperCoupe said:
David,
As long as you use all the pullies, you'll be fine with the stock belt..

How's that little one?

Cool. Maybe I'll have time to get them put on next week. He is doing good. He'll be 6 months in April. How's yours doing?

I had clearance issues with the UD's. If you do, just add a few washers to the A/C compresser bolts and it will give you a little more room.

UD's

RadiumSC said:
Will the stock size belt be long enough to use with them or will I need a longer one?
When I put my UD's on, the belt was actually touching itself over the water pump. Couldn't even slide a piece of paper between them. Moved some things around & finally got about 3/16" clearance. That was using all 3 pulleys & a stock belt.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Is the alternator pulley pressed on? I'll be going to harbor freight tomorrow and just need to know if I need to get a smaller puller to remove it. The puller I had seems to have walked off.:eek: :mad:

Also, do they have spanner wrenches there so I can get the raised top put on too?

Can't wait to see how it performs with these mods since putting the ported blower on it.

Thanks!

Alt Pulley is not pressed on...

The alternator pulley is held on by a nut and washer on the threaded shaft. You will probably need an impact wrench to remove it, or you can remove the alternator and take it to most any parts store to get it put on.

RadiumSC said:
Is the alternator pulley pressed on? I'll be going to harbor freight tomorrow and just need to know if I need to get a smaller puller to remove it. The puller I had seems to have walked off.:eek: :mad:

Also, do they have spanner wrenches there so I can get the raised top put on too?

Can't wait to see how it performs with these mods since putting the ported blower on it.

Thanks!
Harbor freight has a set of three spanner wrenches. They should be in stock.

Cool! I'll get those and the 3 set of pullers, just so I have them. Anyone want to take a stab at what hp I'll be reaching with my mods? I hoping by the time I'm done, I'll be near 275rwhp.:eek: :cool: :D

Ported blower and plenum.
Raised top
10% sc od pulley
Under drive pullies
Cold air intake w/9" cone filter
Magnaflow high flow cats and resonator
Flowmaster 40 series mufflers

I'll be adding a larger throttle body, mafs and IC fan in the future.:D

Last edited:
A 10% pulley could be counterproductive without a fan on the stock IC. I think you'll be very close to your goal otherwise.

DIC w/ 10" fan

Jeremy_K said:
A 10% pulley could be counterproductive without a fan on the stock IC. I think you'll be very close to your goal otherwise.
Good Point! I would also recommend a DIC w/10" 900 cfm fan.

Here's the URL for the fan I used: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=13505&parentCategoryId=10117&langId=-1 P/N: 771-19120

To use a 10" fan, you need to have alum. ears heli-arced to the sides of the DIC. Then the fan bolts to the ears, instead of using the long nails through the cooling fins.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Jeremy_K said:
Harbor freight has a set of three spanner wrenches. They should be in stock.

Jeremy, I checked their web site and didn't see the spanner wrenches listed.:eek: :confused: I'll go by their store Friday to see if I can find them.

Well, I visited my friendly neighborhood Harbor Freight store and they didn't have the spanner wrenches:( , maybe they were sold out. So I bought the rubber strap wrenches and I'll give those a try and see if they work.

275RWHP... I don't think that will happen. Look at my mods and I made 230RWHP and 313RWTQ. I think you will need a bunch more before that kind of power.

I'm not going to say it will happen or not, but look at your 1/4 mile time and all your mods. I know somebody on here that ran a 14.7 in the 1/4 and the only mods he has are a cai w/cone filter, 5% jackshaft and 5% sc pullies. Stock exhaust.

I've seen a car with a few mods make more power than a car with a lot of mods. I think some mods might counteract each other instead of working together. If I don't reach that goal, that'll be fine. I'll live with what the car does, as I won't have much more money to spend on mods for a while.:(

Marty,

You have to remember that almost everybody around here list dyno jet numbers . . . like mine in the sig. . . . you would be much closer to 250HP 340TQ on a dyno jet, which is very respectable for you mods through an Auto.

Dave

Back