What oil to use?

gfxbird

I've been reading a lot of threads about guys using 15w-50 oil in SC's. I read an old thread today about only doing this in higher mileage SC's. My car has less than 30,000 miles on it. What weight oil do you guys recommend I use? Stick with 5-30, go to 15-50 or something in between? What about 0-40 Mobile 1? The car gets parked in the winter, but it may get driven on some colder days because I live in PA. I'd appreciate any advice.

gfxbird said:
I've been reading a lot of threads about guys using 15w-50 oil in SC's. I read an old thread today about only doing this in higher mileage SC's. My car has less than 30,000 miles on it. What weight oil do you guys recommend I use? Stick with 5-30, go to 15-50 or something in between? What about 0-40 Mobile 1? The car gets parked in the winter, but it may get driven on some colder days because I live in PA. I'd appreciate any advice.

PERSONALLY, I would suggest 10w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 during the summer with such low mileage on the engine. Mobil 1 synthetic in both cases. 15w 50 is fine if you have 100,000 and have never used synthetic. If you use synthetic from 10,000 miles (or from now in your case) on then 15w-50 is probably not neccesary untill much higher mileage.

Anyone else care to throw in their $.02? I am sure this question should get almost as veried an answer as what brand oil is best. I always like to hear several opinions then make up my mind from there.

For a stock or mild modified car 10w30 is probably good.. I wouldn't go less.

The thicker the oil, the better cushion you have between the rod and rod bearing.. Very important for those of us who are pushing the engine hard. It can prevent spun bearings.

I run 20w50 in the summer and 15w40 or 10w40 in the winter. Most 15w40 oils are meant for diesel engines, so they are very good about keeping the crankcase clean in a forced induction car where blow-by occurs under boost.

For a bone stock low mileage car that isn't driven hard, 5w30 would be ideal and provide the best gas mileage. But if you like to have some fun in your SC I'd step it up to 10w30 to be safe.

My .02 anyway!

Jeramie

Scott,

Be careful with the strait 30 weight oils.. Most of them are non-detergent or low detergent oils. Ideal for a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine, but not for an SC, unless you change it every 500 miles LOL! I have seen a few proper detergent 30w oils, but it is rare to find them.

Jeramie

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check to make sure its right. I had the heads off it at 182k and it was VERY clean. Not at all like Paul's 94.

I run oil that says HD-30w. I have seen some that say ND-30w but would never put that in my engine.

Shell Rotella Diesel

I used Shell Rotella once. Don't remember the weight, but it's higher than 30W. It's a high detergent diesel oil. I figured that it would be good, since it works in diesels with 22:1 compression.

It really quieted down a lifter that was ticking, BUT the oil was so thick, that the oil rings couldn't scrape it off the cyclinder walls. Turned my car in to a Blue Smoke Machine!!!!!! After about 200 miles, I drained it out & went back to Mobile 1 5-30. No more blue smoke, & the lifter tick returned.

68COUGAR

PICT3172a.jpg

Alot of guys around here run Royal Purple. Personally I go for Valvoline 10-40 high mileage with 20% Lucas oil stabilizer.

My car has 252k and I used Mobil 1 and I believe thats the synthetic Doug used when he owned it too. And of course it has Lucas in it as well.

10W30 also

I also have a remote oil filter as well.

When it comes to parts, oil, filters, etc you gte what you pay for and Mobil is the best oil you can buy and adding Lucas only makes it bulletproof especially on a boosted engine

I use Valvoline 10W-30 all year around and never had problem.
I blew the HGs on the XR7 and drove 5kms with that problem. I thought the rod bearings where toast. After replacing the HGs I put in a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer and the valvoline. Year later, the engine still runs great. For an oil filter I use WIX.

In my previous SC I bought in 1994 with 36k miles (sold at 115k) I used Mobil 1 15w50. I plan on using the same in this SC as well . (90 model, 86k miles)

LUCAS additives? I've seen the in store display and it looks good. However, I read an article on the web about it. It stated the Lucas stuff actually made it worse. So, I have avoided it, it maybe allright, but just Mobil 1 is allright.

See for yourself:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Well, all these wide range oils are fine if they are synthetic. But remember, to make a 10w40 conventional oil they use so much polymer additive to achieve the viscosity range that most car manufacturers won't honor engine warranties if you use anything over a 25w spread (ie. 5w30 = 25, but 10w40 = 30!!!!!).

Back