dipstick bubbles

It's an indicator of moisture in the oil.

Do you take mostly short trips in the car on a regular basis? If the car dosen't reach normal operating temperature, you can get this condition. Also, if your engine is running too cool (removed thermostat for example ) it's also a possibility. Aeration of the oil is another.

Lastly, it's a possible sign of headgasket problems. If none of the above apply, you might want to get a pressure test and see what's up. Good luck Joe.

Thanks. Headgaskets may be the likely culprit, although I don't have any other serious symptoms...yet. By the way, I like your ceiling question in your signature!

Joe, just a suggestion...

In the case that you may have a pinhole coolant HG leak starting, you can try some Bar's Leaks and see if it helps. I've heard anectdotal evidence that it solved a few that were small like that, and since they put Bar's Leaks into in every new car you buy these days (factory installed I mean ) , it won't hurt anything.

Good luck anyway.

Dan H

I actually replaced my rad in April, and put some Barr's Leak in in June. I had a brand new overflow coolant tank put in, and it looked like the bottom of it got stained by the Barr's Leak. Plus there's always what looks like Barr's Leak residue on the bottom of the rad cap. But I still have half a bottle left so if it may help preserve my hg's a tad longer I guess it's worth it...

Pre-93 SCs have oil foaming....so that's probably all you saw.
93 and up? have better oil pans to stop the foaming?

I wouldn't worry about it if you have power, no loss of coolant...or other indications of headgasket.

The motor is one of the most reliable you will find in any car....so don't worry about the oil foaming.

I've beat on 3 SCs "pre-93" for a total of over 100K miles....still no signs of any complaint from the engines.

absolutely, rest assured I've seen these TINY little bubbles on all my SCs since day 1.....which occurs when you check the oil right after you've been running. In general, I check the oil now after it sits for awhile....and remember you can go somewhat over the full mark. If you check immediately after stopping, I think there's about a 1/8 inch difference appearing to be on the low side.

Back