surging at idle

takotruckin

ive got a 91 sc engine, if i let it idle in gear(standard) it surges up and down, i either have to clutch it or give it some throttle. any ideas what would cause this? also, when i first start the car, it revs to like 1500-2000 rpms, is this normal? are they related?

if you had the battery unhooked recently mine took about 3 days and about 200 miles driving till it learned to idle smooth again otherwise i would be checking fuel pump or filter or plugs and wires

takotruckin said:
ive got a 91 sc engine, if i let it idle in gear(standard) it surges up and down, i either have to clutch it or give it some throttle. any ideas what would cause this? also, when i first start the car, it revs to like 1500-2000 rpms, is this normal? are they related?

How do you get a manual to idle in gear?
Mike

Idle Air Control Valve. You'll have to get a Ford replacement. These are sold at both the dealership and in the OEM box at Advance Auto Parts (www.partsamerica.com). If you get it anywhere else, it won't work properly. Cost - about $45.

I must have got lucky, I bought one at Checker and it worked ok. Don't really recommend them of course ;)

Last edited:
90coug said:
I must have got lucky, I bought one at Checker and it worked ok. Don't really recommend them of course ;)

Depends on the brand. I think Wells is the company that makes them for Ford.

Back